-Evil molly fish-

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I have a molly fish who is the most annoying fish in the tank. She is constantly biting and picking at the other tank inhabitants. I've had her for a month, if that makes any difference. They don't seem particularly stressed, but I feel like they aren't as happy as they could be. I don't know what to do. Mollys dont have teeth, right? she is not actually hurting my fish ( as far as I can tell ). But still, does anybody have solutions for me? How can I make these fish happier? ( WITHOUT getting rid of my molly fish) Please help!

Thanks!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe your tank is too small.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
While not true shoaling fish, mollies like species aggregations. If they don't have proper numbers this can result in aggressive like behaviours in some individuals. She's treating the other fish as she would other mollies, unfortunately for those other fish this isn't too good. You may have to move her to another tank or rehome her

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
^this, unfortunately. You may not have proper numbers, and the molly seems to be establishing what it believes to be a pecking order. I would rehome or try a larger tank :)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Tank physical size and a complete list of type/quantity of all in it, please.....

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Well, I just bought A male molly hoping they could keep each other company. But by the looks of it, it seems more like a new fish to torture. As for the fry tank, that's only a half gallon. Thanks
:)

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
What kind of decor do you have for the fish to hide in and escape being picked on? You also might need to add a couple more female mollies so the original has more of her own kind to focus on. But if she remains that vicious toward tankmates, and you find it that frustrating, you might have to consider either moving her to a different tank or rehoming her.

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
I have a small Terra cotta pot, 2 pieces of fake coral (one has space for my fish to hide under, I've seen them do it ) a fake rock with a hole in it for them to swim through, 2 large-ish fake plants, and 2 Java fern and 2 Amazon sword plants.

Tetar

AC Members
Feb 13, 2016
I have a small Terra cotta pot, 2 pieces of fake coral (one has space for my fish to hide under, I've seen them do it ) a fake rock with a hole in it for them to swim through, 2 large-ish fake plants, and 2 Java fern and 2 Amazon sword plants.
Is this the tank your betta is in? I suggest taking the terra cotta pot out if so because I have heard that betta's fins can get scratched from the hole at the bottom of the pot. I've read stories online of fish getting seriously injured from that hole.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store