"Excellent" List Of Low Light Plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Thank you. The list is stickied on a fellow site. It just seems to keep growing. There are plants I am debating about putting on the list. Cardmine is one of them but I still might and try it out later. Lobelia cardinalis is another one of them.
well first of all you should credit someones work when you copy and paste it. 2nd of all there a lot of plants that just not low light. i think a better job would be just to go here....
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

click low light and search.

Last edited:

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
well first of all you should credit someones work when you copy and paste it. 2nd of all there a lot of plants that just not low light.
This is his list, as he stated and as the other site states. Some of these plants are not considered low light plants, he just listed them based on the experiences of others keeping them in low light conditions successfully.

ciaobella7122

i love my ween!
Jul 28, 2008
Connecticut
I, for one, appreciate your list. If nothing else it is definitely somewhere to start! Plus, a lot of the things you listed are linked which is nice for further reading. BK -I personally have quite a bit of java fern under less than 1 wpg with no extras (ferts or CO2) and I just picked it apart last week and ended up with almost double the plants I started with a couple of months ago. Don't know if I just got lucky but mine really took off. Thanks for the list, I've been waiting for something like this as I don't have time to do it myself lol!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Not a reliable list to go by, regardless how old it is. There are even mosses on the list that need medium light.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
most of the plants you listed are not even low light.. and even those that are in the "low" category doesnt mean it will do well at 1wpg. From personal experience plants such as java fern (normally low light) was at a stand still when i had it under 1wpg, it did not grow at all in the 2 months i had it.
Finally someone else besides me has the good sense to speak up. This is the most innaccurate, misleading, and potentially harmfull list of of "low light plants" I have ever seen. It is totally ridiculous. Its a real shame James has gone around posting this on several different forums, and the threads continue to be reserected from the dead. It does absolutely nothing to help people and only turns more people AWAY from the hobby after they try growing these plants under 1 watt per gallon and have them all die within a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store