"exotic" mosses

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-KT-

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.myspace.com
The tank is a 30 long so it's not very deep, and it's being lit by a 36 watt CF light. I don't plan to upgrade the lighting since the tank's more about the fish than the plants. If you guys don't think it'll work, then I'll just hold off for now. Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm sorry, I should have mentioned the tank I put the Christmas moss in has about 3 WPG over it. You should try and up the watts if you can.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The fixture has been strong enough to sustain good coral growth in a 10 gallon. I know it's gonna be over a 30, but won't it still be a "high light" area directly under it? Christmas moss is nice, but I'm really interested in vesicularia ferriei, or weeping moss. Searching the net seems to bring up quite a bit of conflicting information.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The current fixture is a 50/50, but I'll be changing it to a 6500 or a 10,000K (to compensate for the yellow water?). The fixture itself is 36 watts and 20" long. Thanks for the link, that site says high light, and difficult, but other sites say that low light will only decrease the growth rate and that it is easy. IDK, it really is too expensive for me to experiment with really...

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
My pellia grows nicely under just about 2 watts. Lower and it stretches out and grows wider.

Q

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Thanks. What about a ph in the 5-6 range. I think I read somewhere that pellia does better in hard water?

rustygmc

AC Members
Mar 12, 2008
I have some christmas moss sitting in a bucket without any light but, the light in the room and it keeps growing. It has probably tripled in size in the last month. I think you would be alright with the christmas moss.
I also have it in my 36 BF with 110watts of CF and pressurized c02 and it grows faster and always ends up in the filter. Just buy a small piece and try it out. It should be fine.

James

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store