Expensive Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

superjohnny

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
Sol
There's a store near me called thriving discus (www.thrivingdiscus.com I believe) and they have some truly amazing discus. They have 1 pair of very large adult discus for sale for $450 I believe. Beaverton is lucky to have a shop like this. I really wish I was into these fish, but I just can't seem to get myself to do it. You really need to invest $4-500 on a good tank, pumps, RO/DI unit, filters etc to do it right. Not for me right now unfortunately. And the daily waterchanges, constant feedings, specialized food etc etc etc.

N8DOGG

Peaches !!
Jul 5, 2004
NY
Visit site
3" discus for $30 is about what I see for 2" ones by me so its a good price if you can provide there own tank and keep the quality of the wat great. I'd like to get some but I don't have the money or time .........i may in a while ........
N8

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
'Daily' water changes are not needed....

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Originally posted by superjohnny
There's a store near me called thriving discus (www.thrivingdiscus.com I believe) and they have some truly amazing discus. They have 1 pair of very large adult discus for sale for $450 I believe. Beaverton is lucky to have a shop like this. I really wish I was into these fish, but I just can't seem to get myself to do it. You really need to invest $4-500 on a good tank, pumps, RO/DI unit, filters etc to do it right. Not for me right now unfortunately. And the daily waterchanges, constant feedings, specialized food etc etc etc.
Nonsense! 10 to 15 gallons per fish, enough water storage to age water for good water changes of 25% or more. You don't need RO unless you want to breed or your water is not fit to drink, and that is a whole 'nother thing! Cheap air driven sponge filters are fine. Heaters are critical.

But, the hand made food and daily water changes are a real thing for juveniles, all that will slow down for adults.

You can buy juveniles for $10 to $20 in small sizes, shipping is $75 though unless you can pick up from a breeder.

What state are you in? I can help you find a local breeder, or go to the discus forums to see who is local to you.

If you are interested in discus, hang out at the discus forums and get a feel for what is involved. I took the plunge when I could see a good 5 months available to raise babies from $5 size to $50 adults.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by dismantle me
.... ... I am going to save up until I have more money to get Discus.
Great!

Do some research on these fish. They do need a little more care than some others - especially clean water and warm water. A large aquarium is best for them.

SimplyDiscus.com may help you with more info on Discus...

NikkO

AC Members
Feb 4, 2004
Santa Clarita,Ca
Visit site
$30 is a lot better than one of my lfs, who sells them for $50. But for $35 on Aquabid, I was able to get 4 turq dragons that were 2". I just won the auction, so I'll be picking them up soon.:D Also, I am currently bidding $54 on the same size discus, but different types and 6 of them. Hopefully after a year or two(maybe less), I will be able to breed them for money :). If you were to buy them on aquabid, try going for the nearest seller so that you can save on shipping.

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
You don't need ro water to keep discus.
Heater, sponge filter, and yer good to go.
You don't even need gravel -- and to grow out fish are much better off without it.

The most significant cost is your time!

To do it right, you'll be doing 50% water changes 4 to seven days a week.

Aquatick

AC Members
Jul 21, 2004
Tampa, Florida
Visit site
My suggestion is to read through as much info as possible and come up with what you think is needed and not needed. Somethings work for some people and not for others. You could do a sponge filter setup, but that would look like *** and destroy the purpose of putting them on display. Yes, some breeders do that....but they are breedng them.... Make sure you can keep them alive before you move on to the breeding part. ;)

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
My suggestion is to read through as much info as possible and come up with what you think is needed and not needed.
I agree to an extent. Some things are a matter of life or death of the fish, others are truly preference. Be wary of the source... many sites spew false info on discus care and discourage many from even thinking about them.

I agree, that sponge filters are ugly, and I would only use one in a breeder/grow out tank. Other wise, less obvious filters that are suitable (I don't believe that UGF filters are appropriate for discus... but I'm not sure where I read it or if it is true). I like HOB filters, but others work just as well or better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store