Experiences with Mormyrids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Aquaxel

Registered Member
Jan 8, 2022
Germany
Camera Used
Samsung Galaxy S21
Hey,

as the title already says, I am looking for any kind of information about Mormyrids (e.g. Elephant noses, Freshwater Dolphins etc.)
I am specifically looking for people who have already kept them in any kind of groups, as that's what I'm planning to do in my new tank (190gal). These are the main questions I have:
What species are you keeping/have you kept together or as a group? If so how many specimens did you keep?
Did or do they get along with each other?
How big was the tank they were in and what did it look like?

I am looking forward to your responses.
Best regards,
Axel

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC Aquaxel!

Well, I'm going to be a buzz kill, sorry. We "tried" to keep an elephant nose long ago but it was very hard to feed. It wouldn't eat frozen or flake only tiny live foods...very hard to come by back in those days. I hope you do better.

Before you buy, have the shop feed the fish. See what they may eat, take your time & watch closely. Can you supply enough of that food regularly? Can you breed or buy the desired foods often enough?

Cool as they are, mormyrids are quite difficult in my very limited experience. Good luck & let us know what species you try & how you feed them

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store