Exploding CO2 canisters?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I guess this could go in the products forum but I felt that people who deal with plants would be more attuned to this...

Has anyone heard of CO2 tanks exploding? I know it may seem a little paranoid of me since they are supposed to be pressure tested every 3 years or something like that, but I just wanted to know since it is a compressed gas. I have my CO2 tank where I sleep and spend most of my day and I was curious if this is a potential problem.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The biggest danger with these compressed gas cylinders is that they would fall over and break the stem off. The result would be a 10-20 pound missile crashing through your house. This is why it is recomended that you strap your cylinders in so they can't be knocked over.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
loaches r cool said:
, the problem is with the stem hitting something when the tank falls over... random tank explosion is much less likely (but I suppose anything is possible).
Incredibly less likely...I have never heard of it happening outside of industrial situations.

bigscout

AC Members
Aug 11, 2006
State of Dissapointment
All of the stories I've heard of Co2 tank disasters were either in a foreign country that did not have adequate saftey laws, or they involved an entry for the national moron awards.

I also highly reccomend strapping them in the upright position, but aside from that no worries. They are even equipped with a burn plug if your house catches on fire so they won't explode under the stress of extreme heat.

BTW rapid release of co2 in large quantities is a really ahndy thing in a fire unless of course you are in there with it. Co2 displaces oxygen, and fires go out when they don't have O2.

Remember also that your co2 is a pressurized liquid that gasses off as it is released, so it will not jet like an o2 bottle or nitrogen bottle might. It is still dangerous enough to deserve respect, but not quite as big of a concern as a true bottle of pressurized gas would be.

wannabefishguru

learning to be the best
they are pressurized and they have a pressure release plug that would probly only burst when the tank is filled to much and it heats up and cause the pressure release valve to pop this is why when hauling them they should be in the trunk of a car or in the back of a truck securely strapped and in the upright posistion in any vehicle so you are safe unless it falls over. but still i would not like it to be placed in the same bedroom that i sleep in.

dorris

Replicator of Amazon streams
Aug 31, 2006
Tasmania, Australia.
tropical-fish-care.com
Real Name
Luke
I prefer the DIY method. It isn't pressurised at all. It's cheap. And,..uhh, it's cheap. I have also heard that it often does a better job than expensive pressurised systems. Works fine for me anyhow.

nursie

AC Members
Jan 15, 2005
Peoria, IL
Real Name
michelle
It depends on how big of a tank you are trying to put CO2 in. I've heard over 55 to go with pressurized.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store