Extra filter/Modifying current filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
is there any advantage to have an additional filter?

right now I have Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Aquarium Power Filter that came with the fish tank but recently, after installing a pre-media filter on the intake (because intake was sucking in snails) i've seen that the amount of debris floating around has increased.

for this second filter, i want it to be mainly for mechanical and chemical filtration. mechanical to help with debris and chemical to help with oily film. and then modify my Aqueon 10 to be more biological filtration (but still doing research on this)

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
is there any advantage to have an additional filter?

right now I have Aqueon QuietFlow 10 Aquarium Power Filter that came with the fish tank but recently, after installing a pre-media filter on the intake (because intake was sucking in snails) i've seen that the amount of debris floating around has increased.

for this second filter, i want it to be mainly for mechanical and chemical filtration. mechanical to help with debris and chemical to help with oily film. and then modify my Aqueon 10 to be more biological filtration (but still doing research on this)
Hello, what size tank is it? I had a quietflow 10 on my 10 gallon and it didn't quite get it clean. Why don't ypu just buy a more powerful filter so that you do not have two hanging off the tank. Just a suggestion:))

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
Hello, what size tank is it? I had a quietflow 10 on my 10 gallon and it didn't quite get it clean. Why don't ypu just buy a more powerful filter so that you do not have two hanging off the tank. Just a suggestion:))
i have a 20G tank

honestly i've been thinking about buying marineland's hob filter for 30G, even though marineland hob for 20G has the same GPH as Aqueon's (the one i use)

anyway my real objective here is to get a second smaller filter like kintons khf 301 that already comes with a skimmer and make it full mechanical and chemical filtration and then leave Aqueon to be mostly biological

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
i have a 20G tank

honestly i've been thinking about buying marineland's hob filter for 30G, even though marineland hob for 20G has the same GPH as Aqueon's (the one i use)

anyway my real objective here is to get a second smaller filter like kintons khf 301 that already comes with a skimmer and make it full mechanical and chemical filtration and then leave Aqueon to be mostly biological
I ran a Fluval C3 power filter on my 20 gallon high and the water was always crystal clear. Here is a link to it. Its having a good sale right now!!

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
i have a 20G tank

Here is one with a skimmer.

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
Ok I've looked and a power filter with a protein skimmer is not going to be small if you want it to be effective. Here is one last filter and skimmer that I want to show u.

Good luck, let me know what you pick out:))

Reactions: Adler

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
Here is one with a skimmer.
Ok last one because I really want to help. A sponge filter type that goes inside the corner of the tank.

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
I ran a Fluval C3 power filter on my 20 gallon high and the water was always crystal clear. Here is a link to it. Its having a good sale right now!!

Ok I've looked and a power filter with a protein skimmer is not going to be small if you want it to be effective. Here is one last filter and skimmer that I want to show u.

Good luck, let me know what you pick out:))
I would love to try Fluval, I've seen that that brand has very good reputation among fish keepers, but i will not buy it because no LFS sells that brand. I'd have to buy it online, so in any case i need a replacement i would also have to buy it online, unlike Tetra, Aqueon & Marineland that are accessible in LFSs

Ok last one because I really want to help. A sponge filter type that goes inside the corner of the tank.

that corner filter looks good, i will be looking into it though it seems is for nano tanks.

thanks for your suggestions

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
by the way, how do i cultivate beneficial bacteria in a new filter with current tank to use the new filter in another tank

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
by the way, how do i cultivate beneficial bacteria in a new filter with current tank to use the new filter in another tank
You take some of the filter media from the old filter and put it in the new filter along with your new media. Let it run for a couple of weeks before moving new filter to new tank and it shouldn't take long for the beneficial bacteria to grow. Your new tank shouldn't take long to cycle because you will already have established BB in the filter. When you do move new filter to new tank also take some old gravel and put it in a media bag or pantyhose and let it sit in new tank while cycling. You can also add Tetra safe start to the new tank to cycle it even faster. If i use it my tank is cycled in two to three weeks. But read the directions carefully. I hope this helped. I purchased this Aquatop surface skimmer for oil and white debris and now I don't have that problem anymore.

Screenshot_20200802-073337_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store