Extra filter/Modifying current filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Glad it works now :) If it gets unplugged & doesn't start up again you'll know what to try. I clean my impellers every time I clean the filter because if I'm in a hurry & I think I'll skip it then I have to take it apart again. This is true on HOBs & canisters too.

If I have the cartridge type, I sometimes leave the filter running & just grab out the cartridge to rinse it. But that only works a time or 2 before you'll need to really clean it, impeller & all.

I don't worry about a tiny amount of chlorinated or chloramined water as I usually change water & dose the tank at the same time. But better safe than sorry I guess. I actually rinse my filter media in running tap ;) & add a drop or 2 of dechlor to the filter box...another reason 2 filters are good. That doesn't kill all the beneficial bacteria. I hesitate to say that to newer hobbyists especially with only 1 filter, it's best to get into good habits like never forgetting dechlor for WCs.

Reactions: Adler and dudley

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
what is the difference between "ammonia remover" and "bio rings"'? isn't the purpose of bio rings to be where beneficial bacteria establishes, that is supposed to convert ammonia into nitrite/nitrate?

also, lava rock is a good alternative to bio rings but is "volcanic sand" the same as lava rock?
P_20200820_160947.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, bio rings (ceramics), like lava rock, is just a place for bacteria to grow...like all surfaces in your tank, plants, substrate, glass etc. It "may" help a bit with detritus but not like sponge or floss type material.

Ammonia remover is often a resin like Chemi-Pure (from the olden days) or Purigen, I think. You should not need an ammonia remover in a cycled tank...or something is wrong

Reactions: tarheel96

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
i see, i forgot to mention that this was for customizing filters. so ammonia remover is specifically for that; no nitrite into nitrate

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm not sure I get it, too close to my bedtime, sorry. Can you clarify for tomorrow? In a cycled tank you should have both beneficial bacteria species to deal with both ammonia & nitrite...right? They reproduce enough to handle what your tank produces...you don't need anything special...& now with 2 filters...you should be good with weekly water changes to remove nitrate...& every 2 or 3 week filter cleanings, alternately between the 2 filters. What am I missing?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
They are not the same thing.

Fluval Ammonia Remover is an ion exchange type chemical media to remove ammonia from tank.

Fluval Biomax is a biological media used to harbor the good bacteria in the tank.

Per your other question, some people use small pieces of lava rock in their filters as a bio-media but I doubt that the volcanic sand you pictured is the same thing.

Reactions: fishorama

Adler

AC Members
Jan 15, 2020
They are not the same thing.

Fluval Ammonia Remover is an ion exchange type chemical media to remove ammonia from tank.

Fluval Biomax is a biological media used to harbor the good bacteria in the tank.

Per your other question, some people use small pieces of lava rock in their filters as a bio-media but I doubt that the volcanic sand you pictured is the same thing.
thanks for clarification

Reactions: dudley
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store