Extra Tall Aquarium Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SqueakScolari

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I had some mishaps with a used 80gal. I'm selling it and using the money to buy a new aquarium. I'm probably going with a 110 because its the biggest I can get for the dimensions of my new stand and canopy (48x18). I was toying with the idea of trying to return the stand and canopy to the store and get a 120gal with a new stand and canopy - but, I'm not sure how understanding they are.

Is an extra tall tank like a 110 (48x13x30) going to cause me any unexpected problems? I have dual strip lighting but have just basic daylight and actinic coralife bulbs now. Any other issues that I'll run into with an extra tall tank? If so, I might bite the bullet and try for the 120 - but, it'll probably be a huge hassle to return the stand and canopy for just another 10gal of water space.

thanks.

SqueakScolari

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I should also mention, I will not be keeping coral in this set-up. It will be a fish only with live rock (if I ever get it started).

I currently run a dual strip light fixture with Coralife Actinic 03 (40watt) and Coralife 20,000 Kelvin fluorescent daylight lamp (40watt) on the 80gal which is 9 inches shorter than the 110gal that I plan on purchasing.

Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
With taller tanks, you need to make sure you have adequate water current to pull the water up--this is really important with systems that don't have lots of cleaners helping with agitation and turn over. Since you're not going to be adding coral, the lighting should be too big an issue--you'll have to decide for yourself if it's adequate for viewing.

SqueakScolari

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I plan on using two Maxi-Jet 1200 powerheads for water movement, probably pointing slightly upwards on either end of the tank, so I'm assuming that would take care of the water flow issue with a deep tank?

Thanks for the quick response.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends. I'd probably plan on having at least one or two powerheads close to the bottom, or have the return from a filter or sump lowered. Does it have built in overflows? If so, that will help since the built-ins pull water from three locations.

SqueakScolari

AC Members
Feb 28, 2005
I see what you are saying. Actually, it does not have built-in overflow - I'll be using a hang on back overflow for my sump.

So, I guess I could rest the 2 powerheads closer to the bottom pointing upwards. I hadn't thought of water movement issues. Thanks for bringing that up.

saffa

AC Members
Feb 22, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa
learnt a lot just reading your guys comments!:)

im also running a tall tank, i will introduce some current in my setup after reading this.

this thread is quite informative.

AquatiCreations

Registered something or another...
Feb 25, 2008
I can tell you from experience that tall tanks can be a bit bothersome when it comes to maintenance. Stacking rock, vacuuming the substrate, scraping algae and removing fish are more of a pain in a taller tank. Taller tanks also have the disadvantage of smaller surface area, which means less gass exchange. Honestly if it were my decision I'd probably go for the 120 setup(assuming it's in the 6' format) lol That's just me though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store