fact, or fiction?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
my whole life, i have used the motor run water pump filters, like whispers and such. i went to my local store and noticed that he used primaraly the corner filters that hook up the the air pump. he says that the work just as well, as long as you have some water circulation. so, i have a 30 to 60 gallon air pump, hooked up to two corner filters, the biggest ones i could find. also, i have a submersable 30 gallon 130gph submersable filter. it circulated water well, and makes a little current in any tank. im really looking for input on what you guys think. will this be reasonably ok for a community tank if i do water changes? i usually do a 20 % water change on my other tanks ever two or three days. will this be ok, or was i misled?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I'm not sure if it works just as well, seems like you went backwards to me. What size tank is it? My question would be if it works just as well, why deal with the inconvenience of changing corner filters as compared to the ease of the changing "for example" the whisper filter?

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
They're a cheap way out in my opinion. I have one of the little Penn Plax ones run by a Rena 50 (or did) and it did the job just fine, but I'd use it in conjuction with HOB filters. I don't know how they're considered easier to deal with since you have to get your whole arm wet to replace it. If you do water changes that often you'd definantly be ok. I'd recommend going only once a week so as not to stress the fish out too much, unless you're heavily stocked. I think the corners really excel over HOB's when you're raising fry.

caz

I'm a Sinker!
Apr 7, 2003
i know its kind of a cheap way out, but i live in the sticks, and my options for filters are limited. i will be buying a new HOB when i can find one, or when one comes back into stock. the only filters around that are over 200 gph are over 40 bucks. but when i find a deal that i want, i will definately get an HOB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store