Fancy Goldfish 30 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ShovelNinja

AC Members
Oct 13, 2020
While I haven't gotten the tank yet I was wonder what type of goldfish is beginner friendly and would do well in a 30g tank. The goldfish would have the tank to Itself unless I can fit 2 in the 30g. The problem is there is so many different variety of goldfish and some of them have interesting characteristics that I have no idea which one would go well in a 30g and be easy-ish to take care.

The main two that I will most likely avoid is the Bubble eyed and the celestial eyed since they look like they would be harder to take care of since you need to worry about their eyes.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Welcome ! I would not recommend you get goldfish at all. They are great for ponds but not suited to aquaria. Goldfish are very social fish and it's not good to keep them alone. The good news is there are several alternatives that look just like goldfish, they are easier to keep, stay smaller, you can have more and other fish and live plants as well. Do a search for rosy barbs (they have them red, yellow and fancy tailed) and golden barbs. You could easily have a dozen of them.

More information on why not to get goldfish

ShovelNinja

AC Members
Oct 13, 2020
Thank you. Most info I get online says one thing and then another so it confused me since most sites say at least 20g gallons while some say bigger.. While sometime this year or the next I would be making a pond in my backyard that is long off in terms of goals.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Ive been told 20g for one FANCY plus 10g extra for every one after. Not a common or a comet though.

That said, I'd feel thats a bit small. Go for a 40 gallon for 2 fancies at least. Bigger is better.

ShovelNinja

AC Members
Oct 13, 2020
Yeah thats what I read as well but from what I understand goldfish prodece alot of waste so I was think at least a 30g to at most a 55. I woud go bigger But a 55 is the biggest tank that would be able to fit in my room.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Keeping goldfish in tanks is a habit that is detrimental to the fish. Very few people can afford or are willing to provide them with adequate tank size, filtration, etc. And then it has to be a beginner fish too. It is neither... pick out some barbs most people can't even tell the difference from a goldfish.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ive been told 20g for one FANCY plus 10g extra for every one after. Not a common or a comet though.

That said, I'd feel thats a bit small. Go for a 40 gallon for 2 fancies at least. Bigger is better.
Yep, I've heard that one over the years as well. It's a bare minimum thing. You could keep two fancies in a standard 29gal tank, but it's not ideal. Goldies do better in larger groups and you just can't do it with fancies unless you've got a 6ft tank or the likes.

Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store