Fantail Comet?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
I was at work today and someone asked for some comets. I netted the random fish out and then inspected the fish. This one comet had a normal comet body, but his tail was split in two like a fantail, but it wasn't long and pointed, it was short and round. Was this a comet fantail goldfish hybrid? I've heard of fancy goldfish having a single tail like comets, but not a comet having a fantail.

Also, I could not take a picture of it, and sadly couldn't get the fish out for myself. If anyone has any pictures of a comet with a fantail it would be nice if you could share it, I'd like to see. Thank you.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
Never mind, I found the info to my own question! Such a fish does exist. And now I wish I had taken that fish out for myself! I will now be on the look out in our feeder tanks for the next couple weeks.

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
Sorry I'm a little late to get some photos, but I've been busy. I went back to work with the intent of finding some of the fantail comets and I found two! I bought them and brought them home (as well as two other comets that I liked, with normal tails of course) and took some pictures! They look a littler weird to me though, they don't look like a normal wakin. They seem to get smaller towards the tail. That makes me think it might be a fantail goldfish X comet hybrid, if that's possible. Or maybe its just me who thinks they look weird.

Also, yes they are in a small container, I put them in there to observe them for good health being comets and all, and they are now in my friends smaller pond until they become much larger.

The two with the fantails are the all orange one and the all white one. The other two are normal comets, and you can use them as a comparison.

IMGP4352.JPG IMGP4353.JPG IMGP4354.JPG IMGP4355.JPG IMGP4358.JPG IMGP4359.JPG IMGP4361.JPG IMGP4363.JPG IMGP4364.JPG

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
So they actually are wakins? Do you have a link to you goldfish? So I can see them? Thank you for clearing this up for me. I wasn't sure what the deal was with them. I don't know too much about some of the rarer breeds of goldfish (at least they are rare around here). So thank you.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If you ask me, these are definitely wakins. Wakins have streamlined bodies like comets but their tails are split compared to the fancier ones. Watonais have a more elongated tail form.

Edit: Hang on..I need to reset pc so I can get the shots.lol

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Not sure if these angles help a lot. Just imagine their tails similar to fantails.lol

Here's Alessandra, my watonai.

My other watonai, Felix.

Muske

AC Members
Aug 7, 2009
Mundelein IL
I would say Wakins. Good score from a feeder tank.

Cyprinidae

AC Members
Jul 22, 2012
Massachusetts
Real Name
Nina
Hello,

I rescued a fish just like that from a feeder tank today! It can be slightly difficult to tell a young Wakin if you don't know the variety very well, because they have a very commet-like body shape when they are young, also if they have plain coloring they might not stand out from other goldies as clearly; that's probably why they end up in feeder tanks. The lady in the petshop today was thoroughly convinced that he was a comet even though he had a double-tail (quite funny to someone such as myself who knows goldfish). He cost me a grand total of 29 cents; I'm broke! ;) Anyways, here are some pics:

Screen Shot 2012-07-22 at 8.51.53 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-07-22 at 8.50.51 PM.pngDSCN5934.JPG

Screen Shot 2012-07-22 at 8.51.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2012-07-22 at 8.50.51 PM.png DSCN5934.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store