Fantails or Ryukin?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I got them, and I can't believe how well packed the box was! The fish are from petsolutions.com. The box was about 14" x 14", and included a foam cooler-type box that fit inside perfectly. (I also bought two other fish) The bags were all lying on their sides, with heat packs between the bags. The delivery man carried the box to me like he was carrying crystal, and the box was marked "live fish" in large letters. I've heard that can cause carriers to deliberately toss a box around, but this one was well taken care of. All my fish look great. Overnight shipping by Fed X was 19.99. Here is the black butterfly and the calico fantail in the quarantine tank with the ryukin I bought last week. In a few weeks I will put them in a 20 long, and as they grow put them in larger tanks. Their colors are very pale right now, I can't wait to see how they'll look in a day or so. I'm not really sure about the "black butterfly" being any different than a black moor, any thoughts on that?

IMG_3513.JPG IMG_3519.JPG IMG_3521.JPG IMG_3526.JPG

Last edited:

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
A Moor is a kind of a telescope. They have two basic body types from what I have seen-- short and stout and a more elongated body type. I read somewhere that the body type depends largely on whether they were bred out of Chinese or Japanese lines, but I am not sure I buy that.
I'm not a betting woman, but if I were, I would guess that the fish that you show in the picture will end up a totally different color than what he/she is showing now. It might "panda," leaving black and white, or you might get an orange color morph out of it. I would be surprised if it stays the "tinfoil" color that it appears in the picture. Really nice fish, though!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks! He's a darker color today, though not true black like the one in your profile pic. I guess only time will tell. The calico's colors have sharpened too, they are both very nice looking fish. They seem very healthy and active.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
Glad to hear that things are going well with the shipment. Really nice and colorful fish fins-N-Fur!
Your little telescope has really nice body lines. Will you post in six months with a photo of how the little guy ended up? I am really interested in telescopes and color change as they get older. My current black telescope was jet black with bright orange "eyelids" ( yes, I know, they don't really have them, but you know what I mean :)) and she is completely electric orange as an adult. Weird!

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Thank you, I certainly will update! He's looking much darker now, with the most beautiful butterfly tail. I can't wait to see how he turns out.

Ichthius

AC Members
Dec 2, 2008
Every square is a rectangle. Not every rectangle is a square. Every Ryukin is a Fantail. Not every Fantail is a Ryukin. Fantail refers strictly to a long double tail, to be a Ryukin has other requirements, most specifically a dorsal fin and no cottage cheese on its head.
You've got your plane geometry down but you goldfish terminology is askew.

A fantail is a specific breed with a set of traits. One of which is a twin but a twin tail is not a fantail similarly a long twin tail is not a veiltail. Both fantails and ryukin have dorsal fins and no head growth.

All fantails have twin tails but all twin tails are not fantails. Ryunkins are not fantails but rather a breed with a twin tail.

http://bristol-aquarists.org.uk/goldfish/fantail/fantail.htm

Best FishesDavid
www.goldfishgarage.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store