Feedback required: Potential stocking for planted 40g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
Wiangaree, NSW, Australia
Hi all,

I'm about to stock my 40g fairly heavily planted tank. The tank has pressurised CO2, lots of light, a dark substrate and no tannins. I have a 1000lph filter (approx 200gph).

I've narrowed my potential stocklist down to the following (but it would still be overstocked):

5 x Cherry Barb
3 x Oto
5 x Boesemans Rainbowfish
5 x Harlequin Rasbora
6 x Neon Tetra
5 x Black Neon Tetra
2 x Green Cobra Guppy
2 x Red Fire Guppy
2 x Neon Blue Tux Guppy
5 x Black Kuhli Loach
3 x Dalmatian Molly
3 x Topsail Platy
1 x Red Tailed Black Shark
2 x Hi Fin Swordtail

How would you modify the stock list?

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I'd get rid of the shark, mollies, platies and swordtails

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Is the tank already heavily planted and/or cycled? Do you already have all/any of these fish? Is this a 40 breeder?

You will find that most members here seem to prefer larger groups of less species, especially in a nice planted tank. I personally don't like having more than 1 species of mid water schoolers in a 3ft tank, they disrupt each others school and it looks chaotic (if you have a 4ft tank 2 schools). BUT if you like lots of different fish with tons of activity, go for it as long as they are compatible. The only one I would definitely remove is the red tailed black shark. You may get a docile one but chances are you won't be so lucky and they will usually attack anything red/orange or black IME. People do have success with them in peaceful communities but that was not my experience (in an aggressive mbuna tank too) and not what I general find to be the case.

The only other note I'd like to make is if this is a 3ft long tank I'd skip the boesemani, maybe go for the smaller dwarf rainbow (Melanotaenia praecox). The boes get fairly large, are pretty active and get a little feisty so a 4ft tank would be the minimum I would keep them in. Either way rainbows are jumpers so make sure the tank is covered.

Pictures? :)

NibyNool

AC Members
Jul 4, 2008
Wiangaree, NSW, Australia
Is the tank already heavily planted and/or cycled? Do you already have all/any of these fish? Is this a 40 breeder?
The tank is planted and cycled with no fish. I am lead to beleive it is a 40 breeder (although a metric version of it).

... larger groups of less species ... BUT if you like lots of different fish with tons of activity, go for it ...
I have other tanks as species tanks, I'm wanting to do a lively community tank for this one.

The only one I would definitely remove is the red tailed black shark.
Yes, I've gathered this from chat and another forum, i've removed it from my list now.

Pictures? :)
Once it's stocked I'll definately get some images, for now I'm still propogating the plants and letting my Apple Snails clean up the algae that occurred during cycling.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Be sure to measure the width of your tank. If it's 18 inches wide it is a 40gallon breeder, which actually holds closer to 46 gallons, compared to 38.6 gallons for a 15 inch wide standard 40 gallon tank.
Even if it's a breeder tank you still are going to have to cut back a bit on the stocking.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
As mentioned I would skip the bosemani's in a 3ft tank...personally, not a fan of livebearers and would skip all those as well. Not to mention you could run into some funky interbreeding with the swords/platies and guppies/mollies. The are much nicer centerpiece fish to choose from. RTS arent great community fish.

I'd pick one or two of the schoolers (cherries, harlies, neons, back neons) and then increase the group sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store