Feedback wanted on current stock in newer Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How would you rate the current stock level in 37 gal. tank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AquariArt

AC Members
May 2, 2008
I would like to get some feedback on the stock of fish i currently have in a 37 gallon, medium-planted aquarium.

18 Neon Tetras
4 Congo Tetras (2" - 2.5")
4 Ottocinclus
3 Clown Loach (2", 2" and 4")
3 Hatchets
2 Polka Dot Loaches (2.5" ea.)
1 Gold Veil-tailed Angel (2")

Last edited:

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
I voted well over stocked. At their current sizes, the fish are fine, but fish grow, and when they do you will have trouble.

The clown loaches get 12"+, and need a much bigger thank than you have.

The polka dot loach (if you mean b. kubotai) and angel fish, I'm fairly certain, will need a bigger tank as well. Further more, the angel is the natural predator of the neons, and may start snacking on them.

I'd rehome them (unless you plan on upgrading, which changes everything), and increase your schools of congo tetras and ottos to (at least) 6 each.

What species of hatchets?

What is the footprint of the aquarium? (lengthxwidth) This may affect advised stocking.

For bottom dwellers, I would look into a small cory cat species, or (possibly) smaller botia loaches (depending on the length of your tank, filtration, etc)

That's the best ideas I have! :)

Oh, one more thing, whatever you decide, I would not add any new schools of fish, not counting replacing the bottom dweller school. IMO and IME, a few schools of many fish is much more appealing than many schools of a few fish.

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
none of the choices really match what I want to say. The clown loaches are inappropriate for your size tank, and you should up the hatchet school to an appropriate size as well as, possibly, the congos.

Fish Obsession

AC Members
Feb 2, 2007
Oh, I just read the above poster, I would go with replacing the bottom dwellers w/ some cories or something too, and for uping the schools you have rather than adding more.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You are inappropriately stocked.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
1. Replace clowns and kubs with sids or kuhlis as suggested before by HN.

2. Ditch the angelfish. You have 18 neons. Either them or the angelfish has to go.

AquariArt

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. It is pretty clear I've got to separate at least the Clown Loach and the Angel some time soon. I have to decide whether to set up a larger tank or sell them off - I guess I could put the money toward some new plants. Has anyone sold fish off online forums? Maybe Craigslist or eBay would be good?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store