feeding goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ellray

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Puget Sound area
Visit site
Thank you; maybe I will catch on one of these days! Rumpus the cat says that if I get bored with the fish, he will gladly take them off my hands. A little joke. They are securely protected from him. Another question...one of my books about goldfish (did I say that I only have Goldfish?...one tank is 29 gal, one is 7.5 gal)...anyway, the book says that the fish really need a varied diet...live foods, cooked veggies (I don't cook veggies for myself! What's wrong with this picture?), raw meat, on a rotating schedule, to be healthy...that the diet of flakes and the occasional frozen brine shrimp will not do it for the long haul. Is this correct? Thanks.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
hope this helps

id imagine that is a rather old book your reading...as most flakes these days contain all the food that goldfish need, no need for all that fuss. However, you can treat your goldfish now and then with live foods and blanched veggies....flakes have gotta get boring now and then. But, in short, dont worry about it. just feed the flake, and they'll get all they need. At a point like this u'd expect to be told how much to feed, well, i may as well tell you. In fact, theres quite a story to be told here. Sitting comfortably? well, i was in my LFS the other day, and heard one of the assistance talking to a customer. The customer had ammonia problems, and said that they we're having to clean the filter every day. The assistant looked pleased he'd been asked this question....he obviously knew the answer, and could make himself look good in front of the boss (who was there). He asked how much the customer was feeding her fish...and she answered him three pinches of flake and seperate intervals during the day. (I thought...oooo....too much). he said: theres the problem...ur feeding them too much, which is causing an increase in ammonia, and making ur filter do overtime. He then told her to feed her fish just once a day, and she was grateful for his help.
But had he helped? No, as they we're both wrong where feeding is concerned, yet they were also both right. You have a choice with feeding: 1 feed a day is OK, but never give too much to make up for them missing out on other meals. 2 feeds a day is perfect. 3 feeds a day r perfect...but only if they are small feeds. Hope this helps.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
As far as feeding Gf goes, a varied diet is a good thing. I've always used pellets or granules or whatever they're being called these days, as opposed to flakes, just because I think that gulping air at the surface for GF can't be good. I've also mixed brands and sizes, just so there is variety. But, real variety is a variety of foods, not food brands. GF are omniverous, so they do like a wide range of foods. I feed mine blanched peas regularly. Take frozen peas, boil them for a minute, take them out of the water and squeeze off the shell. I mince the peas slightly and add them to the tank. Because they have been boiled, they'll sink to the bottom of the tank. My GF love them. My current GF do not seem to like lettuce or spinach (like my last set up), but you can take a clothespin and put a shredded piece of lettuce in the tank. You might have to do this a couple of times before the fish recognize that this is food. I've been recommended to use a piece of zucchini or squash, lightly boiled. I eat so much squash in the summer that I get tired of it and don't buy it in the winter, but next summer, I'll give this a try. You could also e-mail Mighty Queen Pixie, she passed along a recipe for GF food that is gelatin based that you can make. I haven't made it yet, but sometime this Christmas vacation...

As to feeding, it is very hard to do and not overfeed, but if you are capable of it, figure out how much you are feeding for a day. Measure that amount out and give it in numerous small feedings each day. GF, and most fish for that matter, are grazers. I would presume if you can replicate the eating patterns you'd be doing well.

Regards,

Val

ellray

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
Puget Sound area
Visit site
What about the "5 minute rule"? All they can eat in 5 minutes, then net out the rest? (Of course, this has proven nearly impossible, as the filter currents whirl everything around and I can't figure out what to net or how to do it!) There was a very funny section in the book "Aquariums for Dummies" about fish refusing to eat until the owner leaves the room, etc, which I have found to be the case. I don't really know when the little rascals are eating and when they're not! But I am making every effort to feed minimally, going by a sort of funky rule I have in my head, and so far they are thriving. In fact, they will soon be too big for their britches and I will have to get a bigger tank (or two). They do have plants they love to nibble on, and the plants are thriving, too...have had to trim them...so I guess, given all that, I shouldn't be worrying...but the book was a relatively newly published one, otherwise I would have thought, as you suggested, that it was 20 years old...of course, that could still be the case. I think I may try the peas, or some spinach, just for fun...or maybe cauliflower, which I have on hand. Will let you know how it goes! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store