Feeding Hillstream Loaches with Goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
Any suggestions on what I should be feeding my Hillstream Loaches that I have in my Goldfish tank? I've been feeding them Yams, I put a couple about half inch slices in there. For the most part the Goldfish leave the yams alone, only nipping at it every once in awhile, but I'm looking for more variety for the Loaches their diet, while keeping my Goldfish from eating it first (I know it's probably near impossible). Also how often should I feed them the yams? I usually keep the yams in for 4-5 days or so that take them out for a few days then put more back in, repeat. And do they eat brown algae? I have a little in my tank that I want to clear out but won't if the Loaches will eat it (doesn't look like they have though). Thanks!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of loaches? Hillstream is a pretty broad group. That said, most of the fish called 'hillstream' are grazers on aufwuchs-that mix of algae and mulm and microfauna that coat everything in the aquarium. Repashy Soilent Green would be an option, but you'd need to protect it from the goldfish. They need a LOT of food, since most of what they do eat is pretty low in nutrients.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That's an interesting mix of fish! I've heard of keeping dojo loaches with goldfish, but not Hillstream. In fact, I tried to find a dojo loach to add to my tank, only to find out they're on the invasive species list for my state. Can't buy them.

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
I don't know what kind they are, I've attached two photos of what they look like (the photos aren't of mine, but mine look exactly like the two). And I feed my Goldfish Repashy, but they'll get to it before my hillstream loaches have the chance. I've noticed some brown algae growing (which my tank has been set up for 7 months now, shouldn't brown algae be gone by now?), but my loaches don't seem to eat any of it?

1.jpg

2.jpg

chub04

AC Members
Aug 23, 2016
That's an interesting mix of fish! I've heard of keeping dojo loaches with goldfish, but not Hillstream. In fact, I tried to find a dojo loach to add to my tank, only to find out they're on the invasive species list for my state. Can't buy them.
I actually have both hillstream and dojo with my Goldfish. They all seem to get along really well, no problems so far. The dojo's are very friendly and will come lay in my hand if I put it in the water.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Try spreading the repashy on a rock or piece of wood, so it attaches to that and then put it in the water,in a corner so the goldies can't get to it.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Your hillstreams are sewellia lineolata (reticulated) & sewellia "spotted"; 2 species of the same genus.
OrionGirl offered a good feeding option but it sounds like a difficult husbandry issue to me. Same temp but different flow & feeding habits. I've "heard" the combo can work but not something I'd try.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store