Feeding hillstream loaches

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Just be sure and read the ingredients, and you'll be fine :) A good food has nothing to hide, and will list the ingredients right from the beginning. Don't be fooled by flashy websites and testimonials. I saw this advertisement for this neat new food on AFI: http://cobaltaquatics.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&zenid=t8g2lrmatt96a79vld7c6l0ph4
The food has probiotics in it. I might try one kind...but I really dislike that there are no ingredients listed on the website! I'll only try the one if they email me back with an ingredients list.

Check out Omega One's veggie rounds: http://www.omegasea.net/veggie_rounds.html

NLS Algae Wafers: http://www.petco.com/product/112090...e-Wafers-12-Inch-Sinking-Wafer-Fish-Food.aspx

These foods are full of good ingredients. They don't have a lot of binders and fillers. They won't make the fish fat. They can be fed throughout their lifespan, unlike other foods which are only made for growing out fish. Like feeding your adult cat kitten chow.

Too many people want fast results. They look for bulk, feeding response, quick color...instant gratification. Quality foods will make them reach their full potential over time, just like they were meant to :)

It's a neat experience making your own food, I have done it many times but don't do it as often as I used to. Just know there are plenty of ready made staples you can trust. Usually, homemade food is too rich to be fed as a staple. I believe even in that European shrimp mix link it said not to feed it more than once a day, because it does put some extra strain on your filter.

This is Wardley's claim to fame - "makes water clearer" - um yeah, because there's all kinds of wheat, corn...carbs, vs. the messier protein. It may keep water cleaner, but fish do better not being fed too much of that stuff.

Rjb3

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Remember the thread? I started it. Went something like: Trout chow $5 per pound, Lord knows what $48 per pound. I will not lose my focus. They accused me of being drunk when I was just trying to make a point. It didn't hurt me and I haven't lost my focus.

I guess if you bought a Chevy for $15,000 and re-sold it unchanged for $75,000 as a "Whatever", GM wouldn't get too worried.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Yea I usually feed my fishes 3 to 5 different types of food. I switch off feeding veggies and things that have shrimp and stuff.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Remember the thread? I started it. Went something like: Trout chow $5 per pound, Lord knows what $48 per pound. I will not lose my focus. They accused me of being drunk when I was just trying to make a point. It didn't hurt me and I haven't lost my focus.
What was amazing was all the people saying stuff like "Don't worry what anyone says, I'll continue to buy your fine product!"

Umm...first off, not your product...and secondly, not such a fine one, either, or it wouldn't be dirt cheap.

It's too bad fish like food that's bad for them so much, remind you of any other species? You should see my feeding response to French fries! And I bulk up quickly too ;)

We have a beautiful park near where I work with a koi pond. They hardly want the pellets out of the vending machine anymore because they are so used to potato chips and bread.

Oct 31, 2009
CA
Real Name
Sho
Ok so I decided I'm going to try out these foods since I have them already or easier to get:
Veggies: zucchini, green beans
Frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp
Mazuri gel food
Algae and shrimp wafers
And of course algae on rocks that have been growing slowly

I'm going to try these out on the loaches and see what they like. Thanks all for the input of foods. Hopefully the loaches are not picky eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store