feeding young pikes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Orchids

AC Members
Sep 20, 2001
Bordentown, NJ
I have yet to see the aggressive behavoir in the regani. I have had many different species of pikes in the past and these two are up there as favorites. I want to get them their own tank and try to spawn them in the future, just for fun.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
That's the way things go for me. I don't know if I am just 'lucky' and always get the nastiest fish or if I bring it out in everything. Oh well... :rolleyes:

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
i got my regani "Xingu" from my LFS and i got a pair for a 29 that i have. they were only about 1.5" at the time i got them (July). the male beat the female to death in the first night and i've had the male ever since. he chows down on everything from flakes to pellets to all frozen foods and ghost shrimp and live blackworms. the male is now at least 4.5" and probably closer to 5. the male was taking flake in the store and has not stopped eating since that day. so it is certainly possible to do get them on prepared food.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Geez Quantim0, wanna trade males? Mine is a whimp. Perhaps your nasty male would be just what my females needs!! A good arse whoopin'!!

geo

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
U.S.A.
Visit site
well I got some brine shrimp, some hikari carnivore pellets and some cichlid pellets. I cut the cichlid pellets and the carnivore pellets in half, added some of the brine shrimp stuff, and turned off all the lights. After a while, I quickly turned the lights on and the babies were out of their hiding places (They never come out when the lights are on) but I didnt see them eating... there was a large Sesarma crab that I thought was transferred to another tank though, so I moved him to another tank. I'm hoping these guys are eating. I didnt have enough money for krill, and it seemed too large, maybe I'll get it next time.

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Add some dithers. They will swim about the tank and give the pikes a sense of security. This will help them overcome their shyness.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
dithers as in fish that are too big to be eaten by the pikes that will swim around the tank all day. my guy has some black neons and lemon tetras. any other deep bodied tetra or some danios are good dithers cause the won't be eaten by the pike. they should get them over some of their reluctance to come out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store