Female snail floating and possiblely dead HELP!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicentismybetta

AC Members
Oct 21, 2009
I got to check on my snail tank cuz id noticed yesterday one of my blue myster/apples was having a hard time not floating around. well i found it still floating and gently picked her up to take a look and het and she did close up when i pulled her out confused i looked up into her shell and saw eggs a couple centimeters in an freaked cuz I dont have hardly any adult females. then i noticed one of the baby snails had crawled up into her shell and tried to coats it out with a tooth pick. I bumped her several times but she didnt even flintch! She was coming out of her shell trying to grab on to the walls just this morning when i fed them. WTH? My tank has a ph of 7 temp of 80 waters filterd and thers a bubble bar 0 nitrates and my 2 other adults seem fine. Whats going on?!??!?!?!?!

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
Briggs are kinda funny sometimes. I have a few that will occassionally float or look completely dead for a few days and then act totally normal again. Especially my prego females. I have one female that acts very lethargic before and after laying her clutches but is really REALLY active most of the time. I was advised by one of the people on the forum that you can feed calcium tablets and really vitamin rich foods for them when they are prego and laying clutches because it depletes their calium and vitamins to do so. Good luck and I hope your snail makes it. :) I was also told, if all else fails sniff the snail because once a snail is dead it will always stink. I know that sounds gross but its true.

Vicentismybetta

AC Members
Oct 21, 2009
Actually that was the first thing i did when i pulled her out was sniff her cuz id had a snail die before and i know how much it stinks. I put her in a breeding trap box in the tank so shes not being buffeted around so much. I hope your right though and its just cuz shes getting ready to lay eggs I already have 2 clutchs though..... and hundereds of babies....

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I have 2 recently hatched clutches as well. I have been culling clutches since then and separating my males and females because I dont want to wear out my females anymore and I dont need anymore babies lol. If you have her in the breeder, it might be a good idea to drop some nuked zucchini or a calcium tablet in there to see if she is hungry and try to boost her strength. :)

Vicentismybetta

AC Members
Oct 21, 2009
The thing is shes not moving. Ever once in a while when i move her around to look at her i think i see movement insed her shell but her foot and antenna wont respond to touch.

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I would still try putting some food in with her. Sometimes my briggs don't move for a day or so and I will think they are dead, but then they suddenly start to act normal. It wont hurt to try putting food in to see if she gets interested. I wouldnt move her around anymore with your hands though. That most likely stresses her. I would just leave her alone and see if she comes around on her own and starts eating and moving.

Vicentismybetta

AC Members
Oct 21, 2009
Shes not completely in her shell though. thats why im worried. Shes only partialy closed her shell. And shes floating in the top of the water how is she going to even notice the food?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
A lot of times when my Briggs are inactive they are not all the way in their shell. I believe they either smell or sense the food in some way..I don't know exactly how they do it, but I do KNOW that my briggs know when I put food in the water.

Taysius

Research first, buy later.
Nov 10, 2009
Indiana
Real Name
Jennifer
Just wanted to add that 80 degrees is on the high side for a Brigg. They don't live very long in high temps.

huffmagx

AC Members
Feb 17, 2009
Georgia
Sometimes Briggsi will get an air pocket in their shell and float for a while ( sometimes a day or two) it is really no cause for alarm unless there is the "stench that ends all stenches!" only a snail keeper can identify that smell.

I have had the floating behavior happen to mine as well and was concerned also only to have the same snail recover just fine and be at the next fresh veggie or snail-o feeding.

I wouldn't go poking around in her shell or trying to help her if a baby snail happens to be hitching a ride though could cause more damage than good , besides those issues usually resolve themselves and the baby snail will eventually leave of its own accord.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store