female swordtail.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fish keeper 87

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
no, unfortunately not, but she wont have too much, because she is in a tank with 2 danios, and a couple of peppered corries

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
The danios might chase her. That is just thier nature. Put lots of plants and hiding spots and she should be fine.

Marinemom

fish keeper 87

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
i also heard from somewhere to keep the water where the fry are 'sweet' is this true, and if it is how easy and how do i go about doing it?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I'm not exactly sure what keeping the water "sweet" means so I can't help you with that one. Swordtails can give birth every few weeks.

Marinemom

macey_19

i'm here
Oct 20, 2006
Bath, England
www.myspace.com
but tht is only as long as there is a male present in the tank right? and is it true that if you have swordtails, that you can't have mollies because they will become inbread, and because of some generic decomposition,that the will eventually starve them selves to death?

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Swortails can store the sperm so they can give birth for like I think six months without a male present. This is providing that the female has been in the same tank with a male swordtail recently.

Marinemom

psilo

AC Members
Just give her a lot of cover and plenty of plants for the fry to hide in. But the females can be highly canabilistic. I have 2 females in my main tank and whereas the guppy and platy fry survive in good numbers I have never had a swordtail fry survive! I wish i could stop her from eating them as soon as they are born but no matter how much i feed her she still does :sad:

cauzen

Give and Take
May 2, 2006
Swordtail - pregnant - gravid spot

Here is one from my breeders... :)

Last edited:

cauzen

Give and Take
May 2, 2006
Swordtail - female - pregnant - gravid spot

Here is one from my breeders... :)

In the Aquarium.jpg Taken from the Pond - 1.jpg Taken from the Pond - 2.jpg