Fertilizer and Ammonia

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dansnyder

freshwater hobbiest
Feb 14, 2011
New York
Real Name
Dan Snyder
I just added Osmocote Smart Release Plant Food (19-6-12) to my plants about a week ago and I'm now seeing a large ammonia reading (0.5-1ppm) The fish seem to be doing fine but I'm still worried. I tested the ammonia in my tap water and it's pretty much zero. I then took some of my substrate (a mixture of play sand and fluorite) with some balls of Osmocote in it (probably like 20 of them). I drained the substrate, put it in a jar, filled it with tap water and let it sit for an hour. I tested it and it read around 1ppm ammonia.

I read my fertilizer bottle again and I'm a bit concerned. It says that the nitrogen is 10% Ammoniacal Nitrogen and 9% Nitrate Nitrogen. Is my fertilizer causing this spike in ammonia? Also, is this dangerous ammonia? I understand that there are different kinds of varying danger to fish?

Does anyone have any idea of why my ammonia spiked recently? The tank is fairly new but was stable after cycling. I added fish a while ago and they're doing fine. It's a 30 gallon with 6 corys 6 neon tetras and 3 swordtails. I'm running a Magnum 350 with cut up filter media sponge as a media. I also have a DIY CO2 system. I feel as though I chose the wrong fertilizer...

WeedCali

Certified Dubhead
Dec 14, 2009
NorCal/BayArea
Real Name
Adam
Ammonical Nitrate is your problem. That basically mean that it uses the Ammonia to supply Nitrate to the plants. I think just regular Osmocote is safe for aquariums.

I would say keep up on WCs and see if it goes down.

dbosman

AC Members
Dec 5, 2010
East Lansing, MI USA
Look in your tank for Osmocote capsules that didn't stay under the substrate. Poke them back in.
They don't float in water, but they sometimes get dislodged by diggers, moving plants around, and filter flow and end up on the substrate surface. They can be problematic on the surface.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store