few discus questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
hey guys its beem MONTHS since ive been on here. figured id come back and see if things are still the same here.

im getting ready to setup another tank...all freshwater tanks have GONE...i got into sw and have 2 reef tanks going right now...anyways...

im gona be setting up a 125g tank and want to try my hand at discus....

NOT DOING A BARE BOTTOM TANK...sorry but not happening...

im wanting to do a planted display tank....

the questions i have for yall is....

what kind of plants should i look for? ive never actually tried to keep plants before other than a few swords and ferns....

what kind of substrate is BEST for them? i was thinkin about using a fine pea size river gravel that my LFS has in his discus/ray tanks

whats the deal with peat? ive reay online that its good and theat its useless and that it can be bad.....well i dont want to be adding and takin peat away all the time....i know its for the ph and all but is there a substatute for it?

im thinkin about starting with about 4-6 fish and leave it at that for discus....and then maybe some cories,clown loaches,ans some tetras of some kind.....not sure on wha will go in there but those are wha im thinkin eventually....

ill start with 3-4in discus either from a breeder online or from fosters or my LFS havent decided that yet.....

thanks for any input and ill be askin ALOT of questions as i go with this new project

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I am very sorry to be the bearer of this grim news but your plan to start with 3-4 inch discus will not allow the discus to grow to their potential. The plan is flawed unless you really can attempt large daily water changes in a planted tank which is quite a tedious process considering not all wastes are removed immediately which are contributors to the deterioration of water quality. This was one reason why a barebottom ensemble is recommended. If you don't want a barebottom tank, at least, choose adult discus no smaller than 4-5 inches.

For plants, you can try the Echinodorus sp., Cryptocoryne sp., vallisneria, hairgrass and floating plants. Do make sure your plant choices can tolerate the warm temperature at 86 degrees Fahrenheit. Use sand to make maintenance easier. Gravel just traps the wastes.

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
IMO I would use Plain Gravel unless you are getting a Stingray. I would keep Sword Plants with the Discus and a few pieces of Driftwood.

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
thats why i was askin questions lupin...thanks for the input...i just read that smaller discus where easier to start with....but i dont want to start with a bare bottom tank.

ive read that letting the tank cycle for a few months and then adding other fish to get biological filtration under way that that was best for smaller discus but the site didnt say what size....

my lfs carries them from 2-3 3-4 and 4+........

would setting up a planted tank and going with the larger discus be better?

im still reading up on these fish as i have never attempted to house them or know anyone that has.

it would be at least 2 months before i have everything gathered up to even think about setting the 125 up and at least 6 months before i have the money to buy a large group of them.

please dont think that im not takin your advice to hand and that im trying to call you out....NOT AT ALL.....i really apreciate your input and help....

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
You will find young discus are less forgiving to the rapid changes in water chemistry compared to adults. If you want a planted tank right away, start with adult discus instead of young discus. Young discus are very easy to stunt and this shortens their lifespan. This is indicated by the size of their eyes disproportionate to the body diameter of the discus, stress bars and football body shape.

D.J.

AC Members
May 3, 2008
no sting rays here.......like them but not for me....

i was reading about the eyes and body shape and all as signs of non healthy fish.....

i went and looked at the ones at my LFS....he just got a new shipment in since he is trying to get restocked in the new store and new tanks....

the ones that he has are great lookin and where eating while i was there...

but he only has 1 blue adult and 3 juvies......

he told me he could order in anything i wanted.....which is cool...i deal with him with my saltwater tanks and i trust him....

would acclimating the fish over to my water help anything or is that just for saltwater fish?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
would acclimating the fish over to my water help anything or is that just for saltwater fish?
They still need to be acclimated. Don't be surprised if they will not eat for a few days or even weeks. Ask your store what they feed their discus. If it does not help, smear the foods with garlic to entice them to eat. Vary the diet and don't rely too heavily on high protein foods such as bloodworms as these are not easily digested.

yourchoice

AC Members
Aug 6, 2006
Toronto
White sand, they can easily see the food and so can you to remove uneaten food.4.5 inches with tail considered sub adults and have immune system intact less likely to have any problems and should grow up in a planted tank.

rich_one

AC Members
Nov 7, 2008
Maryland
for what its worth... not that I am some reknowned discus expert or anything... but Lupin's advice is extremely sound. I essentially agree with everything he has told you so far. if you MUST go planted, then avoid juveniles at all cost, because you will almost certainly end up with stunted growth. in fact, to add to what Lupin has said, I would advise you to be very wary of where you get your discus from... just make sure you trust the source. for your best chance of success, I would suggest you avoid an LFS unless you know they are very good with their discus, and you go with a breeder, or reputable online dealer (if you can afford the shipping costs).

If you have a Hans-affiliated facility or store near you, that is a major bonus!

good luck!

-Rich

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I concur with Lupin.

that said, you can still do planted with young discus but you will find it difficult to remove the uneaten food left by the juveniles.. this is what tends to foul the water and consequently forces the water changes.

there is argument that the plants will utilize any waste from the uneaten food but, unfortunately, no documentation to support it.

the best conditions are easier to maintain in a bare bottom tank.

but with lots of work and diligence you can still raise juvenile Discus in a planted tank.. you just may not attain the large sizes often associated with captive discus.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store