Fiddler Crabs Post Molt Question...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aquaristashley

AC Members
May 11, 2013
So my male fiddler, Tim, has been kind of just sitting in one spot for a few days, not eating, not moving - just standing guard of his burrow. He was missing his smaller feeder claw and literally three legs. He was a sad sight to behold I will tell you!
Today I literally was walking by my crabquarium and bam! He was mid-molt. I was so excited he wasn't sick and just needed to molt. He came out with all his legs and of course a new claw. He looked perfect and seemed very healthy and was walking all over the place.
Then I checked back a few hours later to find a missing leg ALREADY. I know when they molt, it's common to be softer than usual and to be therefore vulnerable. But is it normal to already have a missing leg?? The only other tank mates are his girlfriend fiddler Heidi which has never been aggressive with him whatsoever, three neon tetras, a ghost shrimp, and a snail.

Is this a sign of something wrong with him or an unfortunate accident? He was hanging out in some plants when I noticed so I am guessing a leg was caught?

Ughhhh...

Also, one more question, Heidi the female fiddler is always skittish and constantly hiding under a rock (hence her name...) is that normal too?

Thanks in advance!!!

aquaristashley

AC Members
May 11, 2013

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Probably just an accident. Animals that do mopt tend to be a little softer so he couldve accidently just broke it off. But then again the female couldve attacked him as he was vulnerable

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DampbunniesOFdoom

Registered Member
Aug 14, 2016
It is not necessarily normal or the fiddler crab spicies would not exist. So my guess is it just got caught in the plant or something. Mine have never done anything like that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store