Filer Help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
For my 50 gallon goldfish tank (there are 2 of them) I have a 75 Aquaclear filter. It worked rather well in the beginning and kept the water clean. But in recent months ive been having isues with it. Before, it wasn't picking up debrie quite as well and the basket kept lifting. But now all of the sudden the intake tubes are become clogged with this discusting stuff. Two weeks ago I pulled the whole thing apart and cleaned the inside. I whipped down the sides and cleaned as best I could in the intake tubes. Before I only had pesky diatoms that I couldn't get to in the tubes. But this gross stuff not only clogged the intake tubes but also got in the part near the moter. I whipped everything out so the gunk was no longer there. And now again its clogged the intake tubes, for some reason on the tubes it only forms around the ends, but it got so bad that the water was just barley trickling out of the filter. I feel like this all started after I started feeding them wardly flakes, I know its not the best but it was better then the tetra flakes that I was normaly feeding them (im going to buy pellets from now on). Could the flakes be causing this? What should I do, would changing the food help or would it be safer to invest in a new filter. Whats problematic too is that its causing bad water quality for my goldfish. I didn't notice it earlier but on of them has a sore on his nose.
I personaly have 2 aquaclear filters. The my 50 aquaclear on my 40 gallon has never had this problem. The fish I have in there are bettas (sorority) and I feed them pellets. And I never had this problem with the 75 either until recently. And that filter has been running for over 7+ months.

Oh and just more description on the gunk. Its tanish in color and I looks gellish of sorts but sometimes it pulls out like its a piece of hair.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
I had just cleaned out the filter intake tubes before I posted the question and now I just plugged it in. Still not working well. If I put it at its lowest flow its only trickling. But if I put it on the highest flow the water back up so much that it comes out on the outflow part but as well as the other side of the filter where the motter is if that makes sense.
Grrr this is very frustrating. Im really tempted to just get a new filter anyways. I just wish that getting a new 70 Aquaclear wouldn't cost almost $50 sigh

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Are you using the media that comes with the filter? Is the sponge and media rinsed out and not clogged with gunk?

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Yes, I use the media that comes with the tank. I just replaced the sponge filter two weeks ago when I cleaned out the filter. And I rinsed out the other two filter media's that I have in there with tank water as well.
I have a feeling it probably got into the moter area again. This is problematic that it only takes such a short while to clog up again.
I think im going to stop feeding them that food, I am almost positive that I started getting that gunk right after I started feeding them that. Plus the flakes that don't get eat stick to the glass at the bottom. I wonder if some of the food gets stuck on the ends of the intake tubes and decays and piles up fast so algea and what not forms over it.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Sounds like you have too much uneaten food that gets sucked back into the filter. Overfed goldfish will also poop more, contributing the that gunk stew that you are dealing with.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
Hmm that might be it. Its weird since I only feed them once a day. Maybe they don't like it enough to eat enough before it goes in the filter. Im going to have to go the petstore soon to get them some new food. Right now im since im not going to give them the flakes I am feeding them shrimp pellets. I now its not the best but it will help tell me weather or not it was the flake food.

Would you recommend Omega One Goldfish Pellets for a staple food for them?

Thanks for the help.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I haven't compared the ingredient lists on this particular food type, but Wardley's has shown to be borderline horrendous in the past. Like you say, I'd start them on a quality pellet food. Check Ken's Fish online for mail order food.

Sabina

AC Members
Jul 31, 2013
It sucks to because I ended up getting a giant container, sigh :headshake2: I don't know why but I ended up getting on that you would usually buy for a pond. Any thoughts as to what to do with the leftovers. Ive probably only used 5-10% of the entire container so far.

Personally at the moment its easier and cheaper to be able to get food for them that I can get at petco or petsmart.

What are some good things to look for in a goldfish food when you buy it?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
IMO, pretty much anything but Wardley's.

To me, fish food selection is much better via mail-order and usually no more expensive than buying it off the shelf.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
you can still use the food, but personally I would either move on, or just use it sparingly with another better quality food.

If you're going to insist on using it, then I would feed every other or every third day using it, or potentially a better option might be to use it as filler in some homemade food. you can likely google for recipes.

I really don't use wardley flakes, but if they break down quickly before being eaten, that's not going to do anything for your water quality, perhaps pellets might be better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store