Filter Cartridge

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Spesh1969

AC Members
Jan 20, 2018
Texas
Real Name
Jen
My new 5 gallon is finally cycled and I think it's time to rinse out the existing filter cartridge. When doing a water change, can I rinse/squeeze out the gunk of the existing filter cartridge (using old tank water) and then put it back without messing things up?

A second question: Can I add a piece of filter sponge in the tank itself as another place for good bacteria to grow? I'd like to do this in case I ever set up another tank.

Thank you!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yes, rinse & squeeze out the filter cartridge in old tank water. Rather than leave an extra bit of filter media loose in your tank, add it to your filter. It helps to have the flow to make more bacteria with the extra oxygenation. But there's only so much "extra" bacteria you can grow. It depends on food & flow, any is a plus in starting a new tank...including the "gunk" you rinse from the media. Don't do this too far ahead of a new tank set up (you can save it up for long)...food & flow!

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Best tip I got recently for quicker cylcing is a handful of dead leaves from your garden for bacteria soup

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
...and potential elements you don't need all.....

TetrisAttack

AC Members
Feb 16, 2009
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a coldwater pond-koi tank beside the one I'm fresh cycling with leaves... And cats so I've deciding mixing life is inevitable and just keep everything as healthy and diverse as I can ; ) It's like the gut flora and fauna in our own bodies...

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Possibly....but most the fish we keep in tanks may not appreciate the flora and fauna of our bodies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store