Filter floss, what is it? LPS dont carry it.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Walker Anderson

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
www.walkeranderson.com
What exactly is it composed of? It has been suggested to me, but with out being able to find it, I used my imagination and filled an empty filter bag with cotton balls, and put it in the top box in my Fluval. All the boxes I have seen online dont really show it well enough to tell what it is composed of.

Thanks,

Walker

w6wat

AC Members
Jan 3, 2006
It's also known as filter wool. You can buy it from LFS in a bag. One bag is enough material for the average aquarist with one or two tanks for a couple of years.

If you can't find it at ur LFS, then try a fabric store or the fabric department in Wal Mart. It's generally called Batting there. It's a Polyester blend of some sort. It's generally less expensive as a fabric item. If buying this stuff from any source, make sure it has NO mold inhibitors. Mold inhibitors will kill the good bacteria you need for your system.

Last edited:

Walker Anderson

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
www.walkeranderson.com
Thanks guys, I think I can get off my rear and get some batting. The Crafts store is next door to the Pet shop. I'll keep an eye on the cotton ball bag.

ttan

AC Members
Apr 6, 2005
Boston
I think the eheim stuff is wool, but I have both the eheim stuff and the polyester batting

Captain Hook

Looking for ideas
Aug 21, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Be careful, some types from craft stores or places like Wal-Mart have a mold protectant on them. This is not good for fish tanks obviously.

I use the Mountain Mist brand from Wal-Mart. Cost me about $3 for a few year's supply.

Persimmon

Bubbles Bubbles
Jan 17, 2006
NO CA
All filter floss is .....is 100% polyester fiber fill you fill in pillows. You can also use quilt batting as well. I prefer the batting over the floss because it stays together better. Buy it at Walmart for a lot cheaper than any fishstore will carry filter floos and filter media of this type.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
If filters much better but also clogs much faster than blue/white bonded filer pad. Remember to check it often.

Walker Anderson

AC Members
Dec 12, 2005
www.walkeranderson.com
Thanks for the replys. I will pick up some today and swap out that bag of cotton balls I have in there now. Its my first canister filter, I am used to HOB filters. Now I know a little more. Good stuff.
Now if only UPS would deliver my peat and uv sterilizer I will be content. At least for a while.
:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store