Filter maintenance and cleaning tips-discussion thread

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

david mcgregor

AC Members
Mar 29, 2010
when can i put bristlenose in my tank 2 mths old

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
I applaud the effort, but most of that sounds like opinion without enough substance. Too much fluff and no evidence to support the negative criticisms...
I applaud the effort, but most of that sounds like opinion without enough substance. Too much fluff and no evidence to support the negative criticisms...

Oh wait... that's what you said... but it's still applicable to what you said too. ;-)

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I have a couple of issues with this article....

It is important to clean your filters regularly so you do not have excess detritus building up in them. Detritus in your filter media, when it starts breaking down, becomes a nitrate factory which goes into your water column as the tank water is filtered through it. Nitrates and phosphates feed algae blooms. Just like vacuuming your gravel to remove excess detritus before it breaks down, cleaning the filters often will also keep the nitrates much lower. I guess if you do frequent PWC's, that would substitute for keeping the filters cleaner but if you cleaned your filters before they become completely clogged, it would make the water quality even better between PWC's. Further, the bacteria that is consuming and breaking down the detritus use up a lot of O2 and KH and put out a lot of CO2. The higher CO2 further feeds algae growth and lowers your pH. The loss of KH can cause your pH to crash putting your fish into pH shock.
1) More N and P =/= algae all the time. Several in the planted hobby are dosing tons more of both than any decaying is going to put out and yet algae stays at a minimum. Same with CO2, which by the way is a non issue since a well aerated body of water is only going to hold about 2-3 ppm of CO2 anyways...at equilibrium with the atmosphere above it.

2) pH shock is bunk. Swings from CO2 hardly affect TDS which is really what matters to fish when it comes to osmotic balance.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i use berlin style wet dry filters on all my freshwater tanks and the weekly water change/gravel clean up and sock cleaning is about all the maintance i need to keep my tanks healthy and crystal clear. im sold on the filter sock berlin filters maintance is a snap.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
The funny thing is that my article existed on AC for about a year before I knew about it due to a former AC member plagiarizing my ENTIRE article from my blog and posted it here on AC under their name... but nobody had anything bad to say about it back then. Oh well...

Unfortunately, I can't make any changes or corrections since the article seems to be locked up here on AC. I've asked in the article thread about making changes but never heard back. That's why I created my own blog so I can fix articles as new information becomes available that might change my opinion(s) about products or procedures.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You can always submit a revised article and submit it to a Global Mod for review and posting by Staff.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store