Filter Making Noise, help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NBettas83

AC Members
Apr 28, 2020
So I have the Top Fin Silentstream 10 Filter (I know not very good but I needed one quick). My other one broke earlier today, so I got another one since I couldn't find a different good HOB filter. It works great except for one thing: There is a soft noise that sounds like the impeller knocking around in there every second, it's not a linear sound, it has tiny breaks but they last no more than one second. It almost sounds like there is air and the filter is trying to prime but I'm sure it's not that. I pulled the impeller shaft out and pushed it in firm. Still makes the noise. If I turn it off for a few minutes then turn it on, still makes the noise. I know it's probably the cheap filter and it is probably fine, but it sounds like it's going to break any second, and my other one starting making this noise about a week before it broke. I have no idea what the noise is. Please help, I can't stand this and it's really stressing me out. Thank you in advance.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
It sounds as either of two possibilities -
1) the intake tube/impeller assembly is not quite seated right, such that some cavitation occurs, and the 'air gushing' you described as if the filter is trying to prime fully.
2) Another possibility is that there is a tiny speck of crude inside the well where the impeller enters (sand grain, tiny snail, etc). That would cause trouble every time and eventually damage the impeller.
I would completely lift out the filter from the tank, place the media in a bowl with aquarium water, and clean the filter case well, using a small toothbrush or similar, and looking in the well with a flash light. After this, I would inspect the impeller, clean it and apply a little silicone grease (or vaseline) to the impeller magnet and try the filter in the tank again. Most times the problem is fixed. If nothing is done, the impeller will likely fail relatively soon.
Good luck!

Reactions: Sprinkle

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
Sounds like a filter I had, but I believe a different brand. The brand I used was Interpet Internal Filter, it was terrible! You put the impellor wrong. Noise! A really terrible noise.
Got new one for my 33 gallon from the same brand, the suckers werent stable enough and filter was falling into the water and stopped putting out bubbles and when I was cleaning it, I broke the impellor in half, it was plastic. I am disgusted with this brand unfortunately.
I would just replace the filter for a HOB maybe?

NBettas83

AC Members
Apr 28, 2020
Thanks for the help, it seems like this is something that would take a lot of work to fix. I'm going to get a different HOB filter, any suggestions for ones that you haven't had any trouble with and is preferably under $50 (although I can pay more if I need to)? I'm thinking of Fluval's Aquaclear filters but I haven't had experience with them.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
"I would just replace the filter for a HOB maybe?" - The TopFin SilentStream IS a HOB filter.
I don't particularly like them (and wouldn't use it with stock cartridges), but they can be easily modified to be used with a sponge block. But friends of mine do have them (because they come with standard aquarium kits), and I find them actually quite reliable and quiet. I strongly suggest you try to clean it properly, which would buy you time for your search of one you like better.

HOB choices - Very many and probably you won't find two people who feel exactly the same.
I am a big fan of AquaClear filters, run with sponges or combination of sponges and ceramic noddles (always in a bag or a pain to use).
Penguin filters are quite good as well, and once modified not to use disposable cartridges, they work very well.
Other people like others and that is fine (provided one modifies them not to use disposable elements), otherwise I would not be impressed.
I reiterate 2-3 things - 1) You may NOT need to replace your current filter right now. 2) It is always a good idea to run tanks with 2 filters, for a lot of reasons, one of which you are experiencing now; 3) adding a pre-filter mesh (or sponge, but I prefer mesh) to your filter intake will save a lot of trouble and increase the life of your filter and peace of mind (photos below). Good luck!

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

• Sad

NBettas83

AC Members
Apr 28, 2020
"I would just replace the filter for a HOB maybe?" - The TopFin SilentStream IS a HOB filter.
I don't particularly like them (and wouldn't use it with stock cartridges), but they can be easily modified to be used with a sponge block. But friends of mine do have them (because they come with standard aquarium kits), and I find them actually quite reliable and quiet. I strongly suggest you try to clean it properly, which would buy you time for your search of one you like better.

HOB choices - Very many and probably you won't find two people who feel exactly the same.
I am a big fan of AquaClear filters, run with sponges or combination of sponges and ceramic noddles (always in a bag or a pain to use).
Penguin filters are quite good as well, and once modified not to use disposable cartridges, they work very well.
Other people like others and that is fine (provided one modifies them not to use disposable elements), otherwise I would not be impressed.
I reiterate 2-3 things - 1) You may NOT need to replace your current filter right now. 2) It is always a good idea to run tanks with 2 filters, for a lot of reasons, one of which you are experiencing now; 3) adding a pre-filter mesh (or sponge, but I prefer mesh) to your filter intake will save a lot of trouble and increase the life of your filter and peace of mind (photos below). Good luck!

View attachment 229256

View attachment 229257
Thanks! I did put a pre-filter sponge in the intake of the new one, so my MTS shouldn't be a problem. I opened the other one on Friday (I must have been too stressed to think clearly when it broke), and I found a big snail had just blocked it, he must have come up the filter outflow (I've seen them do it), I tried to see if he was alive but he isn't, so the other filter might still work, but it was getting a little weak too, so it was probably time to replace (don't worry, I reused the media with my bacteria). I'll probably try to clean it sometime soon, this stuff just scares me, as I'm scared of change, and whenever I do something in my tank like this it always brings back memories of all the times I messed up and lost my friends. But thank you so much for the advice!

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store