Filter media setup. what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
After a nearly ten year absence from keeping fish I'm finally getting back into the game with a bang. But this leaves me not only lacking in experience a little bit, but also somewhat behind the times as things have evolved and newer products have been made available.

Fluval's FX5 and FX6 for instance, those did not exist when I last kept fish (I think...) and I certainly didn't have a large tank then, but I mean c'mon, look at the size of them. Who needs such a large, obnoxious, extremely expensive filter like that?!?!?

So I rushed out and bought an FX6, and even scored a PIN code for a free FX Gravel Vac :D

This thing has a lot of potential for filter media so I wanted to tap into the collective knowledge and experience of the fishkeeping community about how I should set it up?

I'm thinking of using some Matrix and Purigen but that's about the extent of my knowledge lol. I probably also might stuff some poly batting in there to polish the water.

The big question is; What order should I place the media? I'm setting up a 90 gallon freshwater that will be heavily planted, and probably fairly heavily stocked in the long run but at this point I'm not even sure what fish yet.

Suggestions? input? concerns?

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
In a planted aquarium I like to focus on mechanical filtration media since the plants take care of most of the bio filtration. I like my media stacked like so, in order of water flow...1st - big particle trap, I like ceramic rings and/or coarse pads. 2nd - medium particle trap, a medium grade pad is perfect (I find my new medium pads work so well that I can skip the coarser one). 3rd - small amt of bio media, whatever I have. 4th - polisher, poly floss. 5th (optional) - chemical, which I never use. I believe that is where you'd put your purigen but I've never used it so I am not 100% on that.

The pads I am mostly using right now came from Big Al's (pads) and I use the big rolls of filter floss too (floss) or quilt batting works too. I use the batting more in applications where it just easier to toss the batting then clean it. I've just started using the pads from Drs F&S and they are great too, I use them for my pond a lot, link. Their pads are a bit coarser then expected.

As far as what bio-media to use IMO it's all similar enough to not be of great consequence, use whatever you like.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
lots of videos about the fx6 on youtube. Doesn't it come with media?
I think I've watched every video on it just for fun :) It does come with media, but I was just asking better alternatives to the included media.

For one, the outer foam rings are all fairly coarse but due to the way water flows inside the unit it passes through those sponges from the bottom and sides.....so a finer foam or floss would need to be placed beside the coarse foam if that makes sense.

Beyond that there are multiple configurations on the inner rings so I just wanted some input from others with more experience

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store