Filter Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I have a aquaclear 70(300) for my 70 gallon tank... I have read that I do not need to replace the sponge, just need to wash it out... how often should I be washing the sponge, and should I be doing so with tap water or from the proper treated water?

Also, there is a carbon bag.... should this also just be rinsed off... or should it be replaced?... how often?...

There was also suppose to be something else in the filter to help with ammonia but it never came with the kit... so I never added it in because I didn't know what it was... can anyone help with that?

Mar 10, 2005
Columbus, OH
I and I believe most others who have AC filters do not use the carbon or the ammonia insert and just tend to stick with the sponges. You are ri ght about the whole not replacing them thing I just rinse mine off you are supposed to do it in water from the tank like while doing a water change but I never do that I just put it under the sink. Only problem with that is that the chemicals kill your bioload that you have developed.

Edit:
The carbon you speak of is activated and will only be effective for I believe a few weeks. give or take a little. most people on here do not keep it in there filter all the time but keep it handy to clear up any meds or anything

Last edited:

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Does the filter in general need to be cleaned ever?... Or should I just stick with cleaning the sponge?

YoFishboy

I'll sleep when I'm dead...
Feb 16, 2005
I tear down my filters from time to time....assuming its an established tank, the bacteria lost in the filter will be replenished by the bacteria that is everywhere else in your tank...I also just use tap tp rinse out my sponges..however, my tanks are old and been running for years..so it doesn't cause any problems...If I may add, i think you could use a little more filtration for a tank that large, maybe another AC 70...you want to shoot for turning over the water volume about 5 times or more every hour...however, if you have a light bioload, it may not matter...enjoy your tank - what's in it?

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Well... I'm pretty sure that's the right filter... I know that it is a aquaclear.... but, when I bought it... it was for a 100gallon tank... and it was the only one that was big enough for my tank... because I have a 70gallon.. and all the other filters were for smaller tanks, so I settled for the 100gallon filter...

At the current moment I just have a mixture of 8 platies and mollies in there... but, I'm going to the petstore tomorrow to buy afew more little guys...

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Aquaclear 70 specs:
- For aquariums of 30 - 70 U.S. Gal.
- Maximum Output: 1135 L/h (300 U.S. Gal./h)
- Full Flow Control: 378 L/h (100 U.S. Gal./h)
- Power Consumption: 6 W
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 265 L (70 U.S. Gal.)
- AquaClear is backed by a lifetime guarantee
- Flow Control: Simply shift the patented "Flow Adjustment Control" at the the intake siphon. When the "Flow Adjustment Control" is at its greatest blockage, AquaClear's input and exhaust volumes are approximately a third of its maximum capacity.
- 8.5" Long
- 8" Tall
- 6" Deep
http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/product.cfm?CAT=1&SUBCAT=107&PROD_ID=01006150020101

They do make a bigger one that is the aquaclear 110 with specs:
- For 60 - 110 U.S. Gal. Aquariums
- Patented Refiltration System provides optimal mechanical, chemical and biological filtration
- Maximum Output: 1892 L/h (500 U.S. Gal./h)
- Full Flow Control: 630 L/h (166 U.S. Gal./h)
- Power Consumption: 14 W
- Maximum Aquarium Capacity: 110 U.S. Gal. (415 L)
- AquaClear is backed by a lifetime guarantee
- Flow Control: Simply shift the patented "Flow Adjustment Control" at the the intake siphon. When the "Flow Adjustment Control" is at its greatest blockage, AquaClear's input and exhaust volumes are approximately a third of its maximum capacity.

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
hmm... I bought the one I have now because I was told it was the best one to use because it's even the ones they were using on the big 90gallon tanks at the petstore.... and I have to keep it on low or else it blows the fish around...

Also... as for that picture of the aquaclear.... when I bought mine... at the bottom right hand corner... it said 100 not 70

Last edited:

misscrosson

Aquarium Addict
Sep 7, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I've had my tank set up.... for over a month.... I started out with nothing in there at first.... then I added a goldfish that I had in there.... because his tank was WAY too small for him... He stayed in there for about 3weeks until I found a new home for him... I did a 50% water change, plus cleaned all the gravel with the gravel vacc. and afew days later I took a sample of my water to the petstore (which I've become very good friends with the owner/manager there now) she tested my water, and told me that I was ready for fish now.... so I bought 4 fish... a mixture of mollies and platies... and 2days after that my grandmother bought me 4 more fish... also a mixture of mollies and platies.... so I have these 8 fish in my aquarium at the moment... I've been doing 25% water changes every 2-3days... the fish seem really happy... I've had them for over a week now...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store