Filter suggestions for 5 g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Hi,
I bought a 5 g. tank as a quarantine or hospital tank. When I first started with fish I had bought a 2.5 g. tank which came with a sponge filter with hose that goes up out of the water. The name on the filter is Elite.

My question. It creates such a lot of water current it blows the fish around! And, since they are new fish I didn't want them to have even more trauma to deal with until they go into the bigger tank. I'm also worried that the fish will be hurt. (Though right now I'm quarantining cories and they seem to be managing pretty well.)

Looking for suggestions for a filter for the smaller tank.
Thanks.

theotheragentm

AC Members
Nov 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
As long as you're not putting a lot of fish into the quarantine tank at once, I wouldn't even bother with a filter. Since you will probably be keeping an eye on the tank daily anyway, you can take out half a gallon a day without bothering the fish too much.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
i use a red sea nano filter on my 2.5 and it works great. have you tried putting a smaller air pump on the sponge filter?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store