filteration

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bortsamson

Resident Cat herder
Aug 6, 2003
Abbotsford, BC. Canada Eh?
Visit site
anything but an UGF
just make sure that you have let the sand settle somewhat.
Otherwise itty bits of sand+motors=CRUNCH

Take your pick
Cannister
HOB
Skimmer
Overflow+skimmer
maybe a combo of them all?

Perhaps if you told us exactly WHAT the tank is going to be used for?
Planted
FO?

Last edited:

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I think that the general rule would be to turn the water over at least 4 times an hour. BUT this depends on the fish, stocking load, your water changes, and how much time you want to be cleaning your filters.

IMO I would go with 2 or 3 canisters, or go for the sump. If you used a sump you could get a huge water turn over and as long as it was sized to your fish load and tank size there would be a light weekly cleaning of the filter. Change 1 pad every week, every month change 2 pads.

To get a better idea of what your filter level should be it would help to know what fish were going to be kept, and how many fish you had in mind. It would help to know the KH and GH to help with fish compatibility.

holyherbiness

Translucent Member
Apr 7, 2004
Visit site
I would recommend canisters because I find them very effective (although I have not tried sumps, etc)

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
well i wanted a stingray, but not sure how difficult it will be to get one. I'm not sure what fish i'm going to keep. I really dont like the chiclids, maybe some discus. Are they difficult to keep? Most likely a eel. Right now i have a canister filter that is rated for a 200 gallon tank so my turn over is great. Just wasnt sure if canisters were good for a fw or not. the tank will have some live plants.

If i can find them i will put fw leaf fish in there.

stephen

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
oh man! i'd go crazy with a 90gallon tank.

i'd wana stuff every little fish i could in there.. yep.

me + 90gallon = dangerous.

actually i'd probably just put my goldfish in it.. and make the 55gallon tropical. haha

but yeah its really cool when people get big tanks, cuz they have so many options!

if i were planning a tropical 90 gallon, i'd probably start with angelfish, or gouramis, and cory cats, those are my three favorite fish that i dont have at the moment.

another really cool fish would be the common pleco (i have one looking for a home), but you would want to have another larger home for it once it outgrew the tank. and you would want to keep an eye on it because they like to eat other stuff besides algea as they get bigger (including slime coats!) HOWEVER, the other varieties of pleco are usually much smaller, and VERY! cute! there's another thread around here soemwhere with pictures of baby bristlenose plecos, they're precious!

although it would be cool to have a tank that big filled with small tetras and community fish, i'd go with fish like angelfish and whatnot, that get too big for the "average" aquarium, and would really appreciate the space.. save then neon tetras for the people with 10 gallon tanks.

i know you seem to be more interested in more exotic types of fish. but i figured i'd put in my $0.02 anyway 8)

stephenray75

AC Members
Mar 9, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Well i thought about discuss but i dont know how hard they are. i orgianaly bought the tank for a stingray and oscar but it went to a salt tank instead. I hate guppies (had a few and they had babies which wont die). I thought about a few schools of some small fish but i like big fishys. I might do bass and perch. I have to have a big eel that s my girlfriends requirement.

got_nailed

AC Members
Mar 26, 2004
roanoke, va
Visit site
I have a 75 and wish I would have gone with a 90. I love tetras and I find that a few schools of different color and body shaped fish work well. I have 12 Serpae Tetras, 9 Cory’s, 6 Black Widow or Black Skirt (6 more in a 20 gallon will be added in 2 more weeks Q-T), and trying to find one more to add in. I like the look of the smaller fish not having 2 or 3 big fish.

But I think if I had a 90 I would go salt. I almost went with salt on my 75 but I wanted a larger water mass to help out with the first time mess-ups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store