filters on/off during water changes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hle_81

AC Members
Dec 9, 2002
florida
Visit site
do you leave your filters on when doing water changes?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Yes, to help trap dirt that has been stirred up. We also vacuum during water changes and prune the plants. We extra careful to keep the tank and water change water at the same temperature. We alternate on cleaning canister filters during the water change. It's a good idea to turn off your heater(s) if the water level exposes the heater. :)
If the water level gets too low and the filter intake starts sucking air, turn it off..

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
depends what type of filters we're talking about. undergravel run by an air pump i would leave on, but turn off if run by powerhead as you shouldnt risk running it dry (above weter level). internal power filters are same as powerheads. i would probably leave externals on unless your maintaining them (obviously).box filters would probs need turning off as they would need maintaining with every water change, and sponge would be same as box.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I turn my power filter off. I have duck weed, and the increased drop from the filter pulls the duckweed underwater, where it gets trapped in my other plants and wood--also annoys the heck out of me to have it stuck all over my arm, and trapped in the vaccum line.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Originally posted by OrionGirl
also annoys the heck out of me to have it stuck all over my arm
LOL OrionGirl! I can identify totally with that!

I turn mine off also (AquaClear) because I can't stand the splashing. It would have to be off anyway because I rotate my 2 sponges with every water change (cleaning the bottom one).

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
Originally posted by kveeti

It would have to be off anyway because I rotate my 2 sponges with every water change (cleaning the bottom one).
I use AQ's on my 3 tanks and I leave them running during water change, and filter rotation. Of course I squeeze out the sponges in the old tank water when I rotate them.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Always off during changes for me. I don't want them spraying and splashing. My lights are plugged into one outlet, my filters (and heater if such is used) or anything else powered that is in the water are into another, and that one is switched off before changes, back on after tank is topped up.

Even with GFI, it is good practice to have the tank unpowered while you are working in it.

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
pull your tube

I cant stand trying to find the plug for the HOB filter or primeing it if it shiphons off.I just pull the intake tube out and replace it when I'm finished.
I no longer have to deal with them:D
Most my tanks run off a central sump system
The rest are air powered hydro sponge/UGF tanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store