Filters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Swbuda

AC Members
Jan 23, 2003
Temple
Visit site
I'm gonna be putting up a 180 gallon tank. Which is best as far as filters? Undergravel? Canisters? How does a person know which way to go?:(

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
They all do the same thing at the end of the day, and they would all work, its just there are advantages and disadvantages with each.

I would go for the canister filter as it is easy to access for cleaning, and you can choose your own filter media.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Filstar

Filstar Canister Filter
If I had that Nice Sized aquarium, I'd get 2 Filstar xP-3's and maybe a large sized AquClear HOB filter too. :)

Rocketman

Detroit; proud of it.
Oct 24, 2002
Detroit, MI
Real Name
Reid
I'd go with a canister (or 2.) I think you would definatly need at least one Canister, though. Maybe a sump somewhere?

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
PlAnT's ?

Swbuda,
Are you going to have live plants? If so, you may not want a HOB filter. It's good to have very little surface agitation in a planted aquarium. (and, I'm envious of the size tank you are getting..) Photos are required! :)

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
I strongly agree with the combined use of a canister and a HOB.
(eg Eheim canister with an Aquaclear). Increased felxibility, and if one needs to be broken down for maintenance the other is still left undisturbed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store