Filtration concerns

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

koteleking

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2021
hey guys, I am starting a 250 gal soon but i am having troubles with filter choices. I am currently hesitating between a fluval fx6 with a fluval 307 vs two sunsun hw 5000s, because while the sunsuns would perform better on paper i havent had any experience with the brand and fluval has a good reputation. I am planning on keeping either lots of mbunas or a little less heps & peacocks

Reactions: Warrior-Lady
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I very rarely run just one filter on a tank over 10 gals. My biggest is a 150 which has an Eheim Pro II 2026m a H.O.T. Magnum and and AquaClear 500. I runs the same canister on a 75 but I also have two powerheads with large intake sponges.

The reason is simple- I do not want single failure points. I do not want the failure of a filter to be able to crash an entire tank. I do the same thing with heaters.

That said I will only use Eheim canisters so I cannot comment on the other brands. I have several of the Eheim Pro IIs and the oldest has been running for over 19 years. For about a decade it also doubles as the reactor for pressurized CO2 as well as doing the filtering that the plants did not handle.

Out of curosity have you considered a sump? One of the prettiest tanks i ever saw was a mbuna display tank. You could not see any equipment inside the tank.

koteleking

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2021
I very rarely run just one filter on a tank over 10 gals. My biggest is a 150 which has an Eheim Pro II 2026m a H.O.T. Magnum and and AquaClear 500. I runs the same canister on a 75 but I also have two powerheads with large intake sponges.

The reason is simple- I do not want single failure points. I do not want the failure of a filter to be able to crash an entire tank. I do the same thing with heaters.

That said I will only use Eheim canisters so I cannot comment on the other brands. I have several of the Eheim Pro IIs and the oldest has been running for over 19 years. For about a decade it also doubles as the reactor for pressurized CO2 as well as doing the filtering that the plants did not handle.

Out of curosity have you considered a sump? One of the prettiest tanks i ever saw was a mbuna display tank. You could not see any equipment inside the tank.
I'm not really considering sumps due to my inexperience with them, i would screw that up. Reflecting on your first point: I do not want only one filter, in Both setups there was two in my post. Also, not a fan of eheim filters imo they are a Pita to setup and the design is not my style.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You should opt for the filter you have the most experience with, IMO. Maybe opt for your second/third filter with a new one to gain that hands on experience. Which means you could also opt for a small sump in addition to get that experience.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sorry I missed the 2 Fluvals. So, I would add that, if doing two Fluvals, it makes more sense, if possible, to have two of the same model. That way you can keep a couple of small parts like an impeller or whatever else tends to break the soonest in those particular models. I also keep spare gaskets for my Eheims.

Years back I bought a used 75 gal. that came with a Fluval canister. I could not exchange it fast enough for my first Eheim. I have to assume they are made better today, but I have no need ever to buy another canister as I am in the process of winding down everything and retiring from the hobby.

I pretty much refuse to buy anything made in China that would come into contact with my fish. I do not trust Chinese in this respect at all. But SunSun is a "cheaper" filter and cannot be expected to last as long as the better made brands. Moreover, the UV in it is a waste. It is too small and the flow rate of the filter is way too high for it. Most tanks have no need for UV. I have a 9w UV I use for special situations- (receiving wild fish just imported) and it is used in a 29 gal Q tank. It is barely adequate for that size tank.

Also- Amazon rates all the filters they sell as well as all the pet supplies. Here is how they rate the sunsun hw 5000: customer reviews come out at 3.5/5, nt great. And their Best Sellers Rank: #192,486 in Pet Supplies (See Top 100 in Pet Supplies)
So folks think apparently thing there are 612 better filter choices than the SunSun- caveat emptor. Also this model is currently out of stock at Amazon. Fluval canisters aree rated much higher than sunsun on Amazon.

I want my filters to hold media not UV or heaters. They occupy space better used for media. Also, it is more of a Pita to replace such parts if they fail. My UV is and independent set-up. I much prefer using inline heaters with canisters. I use the Hydor inlines. I have 3 running, one for 19+ years.

I will add one last comment. This is the digital age and now many (if not all) canisters come with some form of digital controls etc. Not for me. I have noticed a trend to put digital into anything mechanical and what then tends to break is the digital. I am even a tad nervous with my digital heater controllers. I was still able to find a mechanical dishwasher about 8 years ago. It replaced one with a motherboard which had to be replaced 3 times in under 5 years. The current one has not missed a beat yet. It has buttons, a dial and a slider lock. The same applies to the washer and dryer. Nothing digital and still working after about a dozen years. I am not even sure one can find a current canister model that doesn't have digital included. *SIGH*

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I have an fx6 on a 120; and quite frankly on a 250 i would run two fx6 (which would be a pia to clean); on the 450 i'm setting up i will run a sump in the basement below the tank - the sump would be a lot easier to clean and monitor and allow for more flexibility in flow and filter size; also i can grow a bunch of plants in it.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
my edit which i cannot add to the above post:
I find the fluval fx6 better than the eheim 2217 i have with regards to cleaning 'cept that the propeller area of the fluval is impossible to clean (on the eheim it is designed for cleaning); also over time both have lost a lot of flow and i've seen others complain about the fx6 drop in flow over time. One thing i hate about the fx6 is lack of spray bar (there are third party available for around $40; have not tried them but they seem to have good reviews.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have 2 6 foot tanks -
125 gal- FX6 + Acuaclear 110 + Penguin 350B
110 gal - FX6 + Acuaclear 110 + Penguin 350B

In an 250 I would like either a sump, or at least 2 FX6 + several AC + powerheads.

koteleking

Registered Member
Dec 5, 2021
I ended up buying an fx6 and an fx4, I'm optimistic that it will be enough. Even with this choice i went over my budget a bit (around 480 euros)

Warrior-Lady

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
UK
hey guys, I am starting a 250 gal soon but i am having troubles with filter choices. I am currently hesitating between a fluval fx6 with a fluval 307 vs two sunsun hw 5000s, because while the sunsuns would perform better on paper i havent had any experience with the brand and fluval has a good reputation. I am planning on keeping either lots of mbunas or a little less heps & peacocks
Hi there, i have a Fluval shaker 252 with a Fluval 307 canister which came with it and it's plenty enough filtration did a little altering regarding media and backed my tank up with a Fluval U4 internal filter having these before and everything runs great and i hope you get the benefit you need with yours ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store