Filtration for divided tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bettalover123

AC Members
Jan 20, 2021
So I want to divide my tank for my baby guppies to prevent more breeding and I encountered a filtration problem. I went onto amazon and found a sponge filter. I posted a picture that demonstrates what I'm trying to do. I hope someone can tell me if this will work or not.

divider plan.PNG

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Is the outflow shared between the two sides?

I don't care for the sponge bubbler filters with the little "bio media" cups in with them like you have pictured. I'd rather have that space used by sponge. The sponge houses BB as well.

Reactions: FishAddict74

bettalover123

AC Members
Jan 20, 2021
Is the outflow shared between the two sides?

I don't care for the sponge bubbler filters with the little "bio media" cups in with them like you have pictured. I'd rather have that space used by sponge. The sponge houses BB as well.
I plan to switch the outflow for one side to another every few hours or so.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Tank divider

The Mattenfilter need not necessarily be pushed towards the side or into a corner. The Poret® foam sheet can also serve as a tank divider with filtration function, if the water is pumped from one side to the other. This can be done with the Jetlifters™, which can also be stuck into the foam by drilling holes. In that case, I recommend to use two Jetlifters™ so that water can be pumped into both compartments. Obviously, very long tanks such as 33L (48x12x12″) can be divided into multiple spaces, perfect for Betta breeding, fry raising, separation of aggressive partners, etc. In such cases, a small water pump (~30-50 gal/h) placed into one end and discharging the water at the other end, creates a huge filter.

from http://www.swisstropicals.com/library/mattenfilter/ (Scroll all the way down.)

Reactions: FreshyFresh

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Another vote for the mattenfilter.

If using a sponge, I would have one each side of the divider and split the airline.

If using a canister or HOB filter have the intake and return on opposite sides of the divider.

This all assumed that the divider is not solid, if solid I would only go with 2 filters.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
So I want to divide my tank for my baby guppies to prevent more breeding and I encountered a filtration problem. I went onto amazon and found a sponge filter. I posted a picture that demonstrates what I'm trying to do. I hope someone can tell me if this will work or not.

View attachment 229124
If it were me I would just get a splitter and run a sponge on either side

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If it were me I would just get a splitter and run a sponge on either side
The mattenfilter may be a very good suggestion for some, but in terms of ease, quickness, resources and experience of the OP a splitter for the tubing on the air line and two smaller sponge filters is probably the best answer in this case.

Tank divider.jpg

WYite

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store