Filtration for freshwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Navi

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2010
Currently I am in the middle of a project setting up a 60gal. restoring the stand/canopy and bring the acrylic back to its original clarity and I threw away all the equipment, was junk UGF and old pumps, I rather use all new hardware. When it comes to freshwater, I don't know a lot, I have been doing saltwater reef's for a long time now and I have the same aquarium a 60gal. except it is drilled/sump setup.

I like sump's and being used to one for a long time, I am accustomed to having a sump. I am setting this system up for my parents now. Was going to keep it in the same room as my 60 reef and thought that would be cool but yeah, going in the main house so they are doing the spending so what type of filtration will do a good, really good job. Hang on the back filter, one recommended for a 60 and I was going to run two koralia pumps, is this considered good filtration.

My other idea is drilling 3 holes in the back and with two overflows and one return, bill can add up, return pump, bulk heads, pvc pipe and diy sump and because it is freshwater, require a difference design which I would need to learn, some sort of biological filtration would have to be in place I believe.

sorry for the long drawn out question about asking what kind of filter usually goes on freshwater tanks since I am use to SW? thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would go with one good canister.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
As everyone knows, I am partial to the Marineland canisters....depending on stock..I would go with a C-360.

Navi

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2010
I really don't like canisters all that much, I had one on my first tank, magnum 350 and never went back to that style again. If I didn't do the sump method design described above, will a hang on the back over rated for the the system for well with a couple high flow koralia pumps.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
An Aquaclear 110,or 2 Emperor 400's with some Koralia's would work. I would personally take another look at canisters. A Eheim 2215 with a single Emeperor 400 or a Aquaclear 50 would be perfect IMO.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
i use wet dry filters on my freshwater tanks and am very happy with them.

Navi

Registered Member
Feb 5, 2010
Eheim 2217 looks effin old! I don't want to consider that sorry if I am a *** but reminds me of horror stories looking at that thing.

hang on the back filter with plenty of low will probably work fine...

my main issue is lighting - since ive been use to very bright lights I want this tank bright!! Lights make the system stand out a bit more and this is off topic, for another thread,.

Last edited:

clawlan

Don't harass the sea turtles!
Dec 29, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Eheim 2217 looks effin old! I don't want to consider that sorry if I am a *** but reminds me of horror stories looking at that thing.

hang on the back filter with plenty of low will probably work fine...

my main issue is lighting - since ive been use to very bright lights I want this tank bright!! Lights make the system stand out a bit more and this is off topic, for another thread,.
I think you need to erase your preconceptions about SW first. They are like apples and oranges. You don't want or need crazy complicated filtering systems for your standard FW tank. I have used all the filter types on my FW tanks over the years and I will never use anything but a good canister. That eheim is an outstanding filter though I am partial to the Rena XP series. Do yourself a favor and get a Rena (xp3), Marineland, or Eheim canister. :pc:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store