Filtration on 40G Breeder Tank Too Much?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
We just switched our 29G FW planted tank to a 40. We were using a Fluval 204 on the 29 but gave that to my sister who bought a 25G cube tank. We are now running a Fluval 304(rated up to 75G) on the 40G. Fish seem to be doing well and water is clear. But is the 304 a little too much for the fish? It definitely puts out some water flow.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Well, that might depend on what you have for stock in your tank. What are their natural environments ? On my 40 breeders, where I keep colonies of plecos, I run an AC 70 and a sponge filter. And also, can you diffuse the flow at all ? Good luck.

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
Presently, we have 5 Cories, 4 Diamon Tetras, 1 Rummy-Nose Tetra(his 2 buddies died weeks ago), 3 Black Neons, 1 Pleco, 1 Pristella, 2 Octicinculus(sp), 4 Serpaes, & 2 Cherry Barbs. We might get a couple more barbs, rummy-nose & pristellas to balance out the look.

I can't see any way to diffuse the current flow. Maybe someone will have a suggestion. I'm thinking about hetting some PVC pipe & connectors & making a flowbar. That way I could possible adjust the way the water comes out and how strong.

Doc7

AC Members
Nov 18, 2010
I use 2 x Eheim 2217 on my 40breeder, each one of which is the same GPH rating as your Fluval 304.

I drilled out the holes in the spraybars larger to diffuse the velocity a bit.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
Seems fine to me. As long as your fish don't seem stressed by the extra current, you should be fine. I agree with Doc7 that you could use spraybars if you need to diffuse the flow a bit.

Unome

Love to Ride Our H-D
Apr 23, 2002
Ellenwood, GA
We've been running a Fluval 304 on a 40G breeder heavily planted tank for over a year and water is clear and fish seem to be doing fine. The sprayer bar is a good idea. I've been tossing that around just to have something a little different.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store