Fin fluttering Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
How soft/rough is the flow in the tank?

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
The water flow of the tank is pretty minimal. The ferts are elements and minerals not chemicals. I have only two full grown adults. I have 3 that are 3-4.5" Its really warm because I thought there was a fungus problem but what I thought was a problem went away and I just forgot to bring the temp down. I will start to lower it tonight. I've had otos in warm water for ever. Never had a death. Corys on the other hand are rather new but have shown no signs of stress.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
the temp won't bother the discus much. I keep my adults at 84. the younger ones will benefit from the higher temp's

you have some that are not yet mature.I would keep the temp in the mid to upper 80's.

the fluttering could be signs of dominance. is this particular discus flaring the fins? are there any that keep their fins down in the presence of this one?

I wouldn't think too much of it but keep an eye on the fish.
one thing..the cory's are new additions? yes? did you qt the cory's prior to adding them to the tank? the cory's may prefer cooler temps.
the oto's may be okay.
also..oto's (some ) have a tendency to suck slime off discus..watch for that.
the discus could be showing signs of irritations.

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
the temp won't bother the discus much. I keep my adults at 84. the younger ones will benefit from the higher temp's

you have some that are not yet mature.I would keep the temp in the mid to upper 80's.

the fluttering could be signs of dominance. is this particular discus flaring the fins? are there any that keep their fins down in the presence of this one?

I wouldn't think too much of it but keep an eye on the fish.
one thing..the cory's are new additions? yes? did you qt the cory's prior to adding them to the tank? the cory's may prefer cooler temps.
the oto's may be okay.
also..oto's (some ) have a tendency to suck slime off discus..watch for that.
the discus could be showing signs of irritations.
None of the other fish fear the blue diamond and he is also the nicest discus so I don't think it is a dominance thing.
the corys were QTed but only for 2 weeks. I'll tel you they got rid of my copepod problem in less then a week.
I have actually had otos suck on discus before but not with these particular otos or discus.

I turned the heat down a little for the otos.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
turning the heat down on stressed discus is generally not the way to go..cooler water may cause more stress.
dominance is a trait that will happen. the discus will establish a pecking order..those in the shoal that follow the order won't get much harassment.

flaring and shuddering may also be a trait when a male discus is seeking a female.

I would suggest the cory's get moved to a different tank.
or you move the discus.

adjusting the temp for the cory's may not be the brest course of action for the discus.

can you move the discus to Qt..bump temp and add salt?

if not you can only follow your course of action and hope for the best.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store