Fin rot in betta, PLEASE HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Itsstilltina

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2023
Hi, my betta has fin rot and I can’t really tell if it’s bacterial or fungal and I also am not really sure how to fix fin rot.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Number one, water changes.

Number two, tell us more about your tank--how long established/ maintenance routine/readings from a good liquid test kit/size/tank mates.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm sorry you're having problems, but welcome to AC. We'll try to help you & your betta. Please answer Bob's questions...& then mine too.

Like Bob said, lots of clean water can work miracles. Every day if you can, but do your best. It can be hard to tell if fin damage is from bacteria or fungus but bacteria is more common...Also healing fin damage can look white too as the new tissue grows.

If you can, post a pic or 2. It's hard to tell by pics but better than just a description of what might be wrong. Both of your fish & your tank decor etc please. Sometimes decor, tankmates or water quality can cause fin damage. We're nosy for a reason.

Yes, please post all your water test #s. If you don't have a good 1 like API then at least take a water sample to a shop. We need real numbers or at least a range...OK is not a number. Strips aren't great but I've used them. Write down the results & tell us.

We also need to know everything about your fish & tank! & then we'll ask more. How long has this "rot" been going on? Did you try any treatment yet? Does the fish eat & poo normally?

Itsstilltina

Registered Member
Mar 22, 2023
Number one, water changes.

Number two, tell us more about your tank--how long established/ maintenance routine/readings from a good liquid test kit/size/tank mates.
Hi, my water parameters seemed ok…
-My nitrite level was at around 0-20 ish ppm it looked closer to 0
-My nitrate level was 0-0.5 ish it was kind of like the tiniest pink ish and was in between the color of 0 and 0.5
-My ph was I think a little less than 7.5
My fishes fin rot isn’t severe, I’m pretty sure it’s more fin loss than fin rot. I did add new fake planst and some decorations a week ago and I took the out yesterday. There were some sharp edges and I definelty should’ve checked the decorations before. There was this particular bridge thingy that did have a sharp pokey edge and I think that that was the reason. My betta (Tote Bag because he kind of looks like one of my tote bags I love) has been eating and pooping regularly. He’s still loves food.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it doesn't sound too bad but nitrite really needs to be 0...always in a cycled tank. Did you see any ammonia? You might test your tap water too.

I hope it was just minor injury from your decor. Keep up the large & frequent water changes as much as you can.

If the "fin rot" looks like it's getting worse you may have to take a next step. But fingers crossed, clean water will be the easy answer now with different decor. It will take a few weeks for damaged fins to heal. It's a slow process, be patient & observant. It's good he's eating & pooping normally!

We'd still love to see pics of your betta if you care to share.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store