fin rot? on my angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
I just got the api master test. Tested everything last night.

I have an aqueon 40 hob filter. I replaced the cartridge with cut out filter sponges, ceramic media and removable carbon. Different filter on the bottom of the suction tube. I have been rinsing the sponges with every water change in the dirty fish water.

I'm not sure if maybe I vacuumed the gravel to much to mess up the cycle.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Did you replace ALL the media in this AC40 with new? This will take away a large portion of your beneficial bacteria, or pretty much ALL of it depending on the situation. The sponge you keep on the suction tube may not contain enough BB.

IMO, an AC40 alone is very minimal for a 38g setup. I'd run another filter along with it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
It doesn't have to be anything fancy! I wouldn't worry about spending a ton of $$. A simple sponge bubbler filter is a fine backup, or mail order another AC HOB. Canisters are nice too. Again, my preference is to mail-order all aquarium hardware and filtration. Waaaay cheaper than store prices.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
I went and found an internal filter 40 by Topfin. Came with bio ceramic rings and sponge filtration.

Did a 20% water change yesterday and this morning as my ammonia levels were at 1ppm. Added dechlorinator, stress coat and safestart plus.

Fingers crossed this helps.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd make sure to use a dechlor product that also detoxifies ammonia.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Detox ammonia would be like ammonia lock?
That would work.

Or like suggested above, skip all those products and just stick with a quality dechlorinator that also detoxes ammona, neutralizes heavy metals, etc. Seachem Prime (or Safe) is one of them. There's lots of others too, just be sure to read the bottles.

I think you'll be in better shape going forward with those two filters. The sponges will act as the large portion of your bio media as time goes on. Just be sure not to throw them away and replace with brand new all at once.

Khaleah

AC Members
Jan 4, 2018
Washington State
Thank you all for the help. They both passed this morning. I'm just going to keep cycling the tank. I got the ammonia down to 0.5ppm. I just caught it to late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store