Finally Getting Back Into Fishies! Want a New Challenge... Planted

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I haven't had a fish tank for about a year now and I'm going into withdraw. My silly reality company wont allow fish, but I'm switching :thm:.

So I want a new challenge. I've never owned a planted tank, and I have no idea where to start. I do know that I would like to start with a 10 gallon. What plants require CO2? How much lighting do I need? How much will this adventure cost? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Also I think it's worth noting that I am most interested in either dwarf puffers+otos or shrimp+snails+some small fish (killi maybe?)

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
It really depends on what plants you want. A nice planted tank can be achieved with low lights and a descent substrate or you could go all out with strong lights, co2, and good substrate. I would suggest starting simple though. I have a 10 gallon with a t8 19watt light and some cheap planting substrate from petco. I need better substrate but dwarf sag, crypts, anubias, java fern, wisteria, and moss all do great in my 10 gallon.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I just set up a cheap 10 gallon for a betta with some live plants. Tank - $15. Filter and light combo - $60. Play sand - $3. Some well scrubbed rocks from outside - $0. Some baby plants stolen from larger tank - $0.

The hood has a 15w T8 bulb which should be just fine for the anubias, java, crypt and moss I'm putting in there. I didn't do anything special with the substrate, just shallow sand, but will use root tabs with the plants that will appreciate it. I've always had decent plant growth with just gravel/sand and root tabs, at least with the plants I use. A planted tank can really be very simple and still look great.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hmmm, so I guess what I'm hearing is jump right in, but don't go overboard. I got a nice new clean 10 gallon today and will probably start a super cycle tomorrow. It will need to have fish + plants by Aug 20 so I will be fine there. I'm pretty sure I am going to start with some shrimp and an otto. What plants would do best with them? I will be running off of a sponge filter only with frequent water changes. Are there any suppliments I should add to the water? I love moss balls, but I don't want them to get out of control... Just dumping my thoughts here.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
What's the lighting going to be like? Personally, on 10g I like using the incandescent fixtures but with daylight CFLs.

For your first time around, it doesn't get any easier than plants like java fern, java moss, anubias, crypts, etc.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm still trying to decide what lighting to use. I'm pretty tempted to make a cfl hood for the 10 gallon and run with that. How much light/what light do I need for a white light look, low-medium light plants, and if at all possible the prevention of more pervasive types of algae.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Well that's the million dollar question...LOL

Whenever I did the dual CFL fixtures I went with the biggest bulb I could find that would fit. That usually meant around 20-25w per bulb. The hard thing with these fixtures though is that CFLs lose light to restrike and the reflectors are practically not there (would be different if you DIY)...so it's hard to really quantify how much light you need.

Jakezori

AC Members
Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
I guess I will rig my standard 10 gallon canopy to fit 2 CFL bulbs. I found a YouTube video of a tank that I would die for. Normally I like doing all my own aquascaping and planning etc. but man, I want to mimic this tank .
[YT]ODXTVIhJyQc[/YT]
Do you recommend DIY co2? how much would a cheap co2 setup cost? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store