Finding Daphnia in NYC pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

schoukah

Registered Member
Jun 16, 2012
Hi!

I'm trying to find Daphnia in the Central Park pond to start culturing them and I'm very new to this. I already checked out this and other forums before. The only problem is I can't seem to find them at this period of the year (which is strange). I went at dusk, really looked for them but there doesn't seem to be much to catch when you're in one spot and can't move around in a boat or canoe. Maybe I should get in further into the water? I'm kinda scared of getting caught though, I don't think we're allowed to catch live animals without a permit in a public park...

Any advice? Thanks,

Sarah.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
People here arent going to help you do something that is illegal. Please check your local ordinances to make sure it is ok for you to harvest daphnia from the pond. Usually ordinances dont extend to microinverts like daphnia, but you should still check. Also, just so you know, it is incredibly difficult to see daphnia with the naked eye, especially in a large body of water.

kenjivaj

AC Members
Mar 1, 2012
Fresno, CA
Real Name
xue
It easier and cheaper to buy it (gas money and time). Don't waste your time. You might get daphnias with parasites. Ebay has them.

mpmistr

AC Members
May 21, 2012
getting daphnia can't be that hard cause I got all the daphnia in my tank by mistake lol..

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I doubt that you need a permit for catching daphnia. Too most people, it would be like needing a permit to catch fireflies. If there is a body of water with fish in it, you have very little chance of finding daphnia. If you find a fishless body of water, go there at night and hold a flashlight over the water for several minutes (tie it to a branch if you want to). This attracts hoards of daphnia, cyclops, and other aquatic organisms. Once you catch them, you can sort it out.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I agree. Better to get clean, captive bred daphnia so you don't introduce anything unwanted to your fish. But if you're set on doing it... Set up green water, grab some water from a fishless body of water or body of water rich with plants, introduce to your green water culture, ignore for about a week and then go check out your daphnia with a magnifying glass while holding a flashlight to the water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store