finding replacement aquarium top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Hi all-

I have a 24" aquarium that I got almost 20 yrs ago. I have no idea who the manufacturer is. The hood on top has a glass panel, on which sits a fluorescent light bar, and there's a hinged portion in the front which you can open to feed the fish. The back strip has an opening of maybe 2" for water filtration. One of the hinges has broken, and every time I try to open it, the left side will fall into the tank. I can get around this by basically lifting the whole hinged panel off, and then placing it back, though given the broken hinge, it's not a complete fit anymore. But at least it doesn't fall into the tank.

I just wanted to replace the hood part, but am not sure where to get it. The light has a label saying it's All Glass Aquarium, but doing a search, it appears this might be a standard light strip, not the brand of the actual tank/hood itself. Anyone know how I can figure out the brand to get a replacement that fits? I could just randomly try the local pet stores, but am wondering if there's a better way.

ET

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can order just the hinges too & cut to fit your tank. I think it's the heat from the lights that breaks down the hinges, I've had that happen too.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
All glass aquarium was a manufacturer.. they have sort of become aquaeon now.

My suggestion would be, if you need the plastic strips or hinge, just order them specifically, they normally come as a 3 or 6 foot piece you need to cut down to size.

If the glass itself, I would measure the size of the existing one, and looking the options from aquaon (or marineland) match your size... There are slight differences between them

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
You can order just the hinges too & cut to fit your tank. I think it's the heat from the lights that breaks down the hinges, I've had that happen too.
Unfortunately, the hinge that broke is part of the main piece of the hood. The part that opens doesn't have the hinge itself.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
All glass aquarium was a manufacturer.. they have sort of become aquaeon now.

My suggestion would be, if you need the plastic strips or hinge, just order them specifically, they normally come as a 3 or 6 foot piece you need to cut down to size.

If the glass itself, I would measure the size of the existing one, and looking the options from aquaon (or marineland) match your size... There are slight differences between them
Thanks, I'll look for Aqueon at the LFS and see if they have something that fits.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Are you referring to the plastic black or brown tank lid that has the broken hinge on the front? This is what I'm referring to Aqueon full hood.

Just to be sure before you go to the LFS, measure the length and width of the existing tank trim the hood sits in OR the hood length and width so you get the correct brand. Perfecto, now Marineland, made similar full plastic hoods.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
What is the footprint of this tank?

24" could be a standard 20gal high, if so glass tops and hoods will be easy to source.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
Are you referring to the plastic black or brown tank lid that has the broken hinge on the front? This is what I'm referring to Aqueon full hood.

Just to be sure before you go to the LFS, measure the length and width of the existing tank trim the hood sits in OR the hood length and width so you get the correct brand. Perfecto, now Marineland, made similar full plastic hoods.
Yes, that's what I'm referring to. I got a 24" from Aqueon to test, but it barely covers the opening, which probably isn't good. another 1mm smaller and it would've plopped into the tank. It looks like the lip around the hood is smaller than it used to be.

• Sad
Reactions: dudley

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
What is the footprint of this tank?

24" could be a standard 20gal high, if so glass tops and hoods will be easy to source.
I would think so, but it's a question of fit. I'll try other brands besides Aqueon, since that looks like it won't work in the long run.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Glass lid dimensions between Aqueon and Marineland tanks tend to be just a hair different, but like said, I would have though All-glass would be the same as Aqueon. Apparently not.

Did the lid you bought come with plastic clips for the edges? Some do, to take up the slack.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store