Finnex planted + 24/7 light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Anyone have any experience with this light. Getting ready to set up a 45 gallon planted tank and wondered what settings everyone is running.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, don't get the first edition if you want it to go completely off on the normal cycle.

Otherwise I now have one running on a 36g bowfront on full power on a regular timer.

I like the color output of them for red plants,

But no experience with the later models.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
Yeah, don't get the first edition if you want it to go completely off on the normal cycle.

Otherwise I now have one running on a 36g bowfront on full power on a regular timer.

I like the color output of them for red plants,

But no experience with the later models.

How do you know which edition it is It is the HLC model.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
HLC isn't the 1st, I think maybe 3rd, or there were 2 or 3 at the same time.

Sorry I can't help more, just play with the settings

Reactions: IceH2O

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've never heard anything bad in regards to a Finnex LED fixture w/ a planted tank. Oddly they don't list lumens, but they list things like PAR at different heights. They are relatively high wattage strip lights, so I assume the lumen number is up there.

Reactions: IceH2O

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
It’s pretty cool. Been playing with it and trying to set a custom 24/7.
don’t like that the default is on from 6 am to 12 am.

I don’t know if it would hurt but at default it does sunrise at 6 slowly ramping up to probably 75 percent from 9-12 then max from 12-3 back to 75 percent 3-6 pm then sunset 6-9 slowly dimming to moonlight (blue) 9pm- 12 am

don’t know if mine is much better but there is a lot more off time.

no moon light. Off from 9 pm - 6 am

6 am to 9 am ramps up from sunrise white 10 percent red 40 percent 0 blue and green

12-3 max

3-6 max but lowered blue and green to 60 percent

6-9 back to sunset same settings as sunrise.

is that going to be enough light? Any suggestions? Problem is it’s 3 hour windows. The sunrise to max isn’t instantly it builds towards it same with to sunset.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think you'll have to experiment to see how your plants respond.

The 4-5yr/old 48" Current Satellite LED+ I have over my 55gal came with a remote and countless different options and settings. No timer though. I have mine plugged into a lamp timer. I've only ever kept it at full output and keep it on ~8hrs/day. The button batteries in the remote gave up the ghost long ago.. At least I think that's why the remote stopped working.

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
I have 3 Finnex Planted LED's. Not the 24/7 models.
I have them on separate timers, just on/off when I want. I love them. The older of the 3 has been in use for 3-plus years and I ave not notice any color or intensity changes. I have been very happy.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
wtach for them not being waterproof, and the power supplies aren't the most reliable.

and I use the 24/7 on a timer too. on full power.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep. The electronics are the weak link. The higher dollar name brand lights are better built at the LED end of things, but the power supplies suck across the board. Luckily that part can (usually) be easily replaced.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store