Fire eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
so I went to buy a gold nugget pleco ($60) and ended up buying a fire eel also because I've always wanted one ($50) and a pair of red head geophagus ($60) and the fire eel was so active the day I got him and eating bloodworms but yesterday and today he's just hiding in a decoration and all I can see is his mouth how can I get him out of hiding?

IMG_0170.JPG

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Its likely stress of a new tank. Keep the lights to a minimum for a few days, that might help.

What is he in with, how big is he, and what size tank is he in?

Also, in my experience the spiny eels tend to hide unless they're hungry.

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
He's in a 90 gallon tank with a eshopps sump he's with a uaru a pair of red head geophagus 2 angels a festvium a keyhole 2 roseline sharks a bristlenose pleco and a gold nugget and 2 Corey cats

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
While most of those fish are fairly peaceful they are pretty aggressive eaters. The eel may be having a hard time coping with the chaos that comes at feeding times in cichlid tanks. Additionally, with the two plecos (depending on the amount of hiding spaces available) he may be staying in his cave to keep the plecos out of it. I'd suggest, in addition to the previous things I mentioned, making sure there are multiple hiding spaces available and to start target feeding him in a specific cave so that he learns to go there during feeding times where only he can get the food.

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
And a bgk and 2 clown loaches the tank isn't planted but has lots of fake coral decorations and some pvc pipe but the eel has now came out and is active

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
With those other bottom dwellers, I would really suggest adding much more caves. The fake coral won't be sufficient and is usually pretty rough. Either the eel or the BGK could injure themselves fairly easily. I'd suggest looking at switching out the fake coral for driftwood and pvc pipes to make a network of caves. When those cichlids start spawning, you'll really need a lot of hiding places.

The camaro show

AC Members
Apr 10, 2017
I have 3 cichlid caves and a small place of drift wood for the plecos I've been thinking of getting some smooth rocks to add in the background

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I'm sorry, but three caves is not enough. You're cichlids will want more than that and two plecos each need at least one, or two each, the BGK needs one or two and the eel needs one or two. The clowns will also appreciate it. Flat rocks, won't necessarily do it, unless you stack them and glue them to make caves.
I'd suggest thinking kind of like this. They aren't really caves, but little crevices made by overlapping sticks that serve as hiding places. With the BGK and the plecos though a few actual caves or terracotta pots would help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store