First Planted Tank-Walstad Style: Pic heavy

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
It really got going after about 1 month. There were a few runners here and there, but not much. Then one day, the growth just exploded. Now I have runners going everywhere! It's a constant battle to keep it from overtaking all my other plants. You can really tell when the roots start growing and taking hold in these tanks, because thats when you get massive growth.

When I trim the chain swords, can I just give them a "hair cut"? Like right across the top to the desired length. Also, will the leaves repair themselves, or will the cut be permanant?

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
im pretty sure you can just give it a hair cut, but asking on the planted tank forum would give you betta answers.

Robert H

Aspiring Guru
It looks like it was your vals that got trashed in your plant shipment, and the rest of the plants were fine right? Vals can rot very quickly in shipping. The rest certainly recovered into a lush tank! You can cut the leaves of the grass plants without damaging the plant, but the cuts will be permanent. Your tank looks fantastic.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am using 2 13 watt CFL bulbs. It works alright for me, but some more light might have been helpful. Right now I have quite a lot of algae growing on the tank glass. I dropped in an oto cat from a different tank to see if he can clean it up some. Sorry for no recent pics. I have been crazy busy studying for my highschool midterms
:nilly:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
oh ok. i actually have 40 watts on my 10 and i wont be able to call it a walstad tank anymore since ill be hooking up Co2 and dosing :) my plants are pearling like crazy!!! hope you can post a pic of your tank soon!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
I am dosing with API CO2 booster, which is similar to Excel. Other than that, it is pretty much natural. I do have an airstone and filter running, but that is more for water movment.

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I am dosing with API CO2 booster, which is similar to Excel.
Even though this is Walstad, you probably want to add root tabs and look into dosing PMDD since you're having algae issues. BTW what is your photoperiod?

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
My photoperiod is 10 hours. I use an automatic timer for my lights. My Boraras naevus are really doing well! These little fish are very aggressive feeders, and they never seem to stop eating. I feed these guys about 3 times a day, and I can still see them eating the little bugs that have colonized the tank. I can also clearly tell the difference between males and females now that the fish have colored up. The males have a much larger spot about 3/4 of the way down the fish's body. The females are also clearly more rounded, almost lumpy looking. My fish have acquired a taste for the algae tablets that I feed my shrimp. They come right down to bottom and pick off bits. A lot of personality packed in a little fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store