First Pleco's... never see them, not eating algae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

emmz

AC Members
Jun 9, 2006
JAGARUNDI - you have a strange way of "caring" for your fish

You state you "got rid of" 2 plecos you previously had, and seem to have aquired another one??? Its a shame you see your fish in terms of cash, rather than living, breathing, "pooing" beings!

Addict

Here fishy, fishy
Feb 23, 2005
Ohio
www.digitaldeviation.com
DeRo316 said:
Common plecos dont eat extra food on the bottom, they mostly scavenge for algae off rocks/glass tank ornaments. They grow very fast and will cover the bottom of your tank in crap. Pet stores convince you to get one to take care of algae just to sell fish. Save the time and money and just get a Mag-Float.
Don't be talking bad about common plecos! :p:

I'd take my "glass cleaner" of a plec over a mag-float any day. He keeps that tank spotless. He and his crew (the 3 bronze cory cats) do a great job of cleaning.

But oh man do they poop! I think the record for mine is about a 4ft long strand of poo. :rolleyes:

I agree that pet stores tend to push these guys without telling customers just how large they get (lack of education on their part). Mine was bought at 2.5" (about 3 years ago) and is now 11-12". Needless to say I see a larger tank in my future.

budrecki

Trust me, it's for your own good.
Dec 17, 2005
Orlando,FL
Addict said:
Mine was bought at 2.5" (about 3 years ago) and is now 11-12". Needless to say I see a larger tank in my future.
So you keep an 11 inch pleco in a 36g tank? And you think that's ok?

Properly feed plecos will grow on average 1 inch per month the first year of life. The fact that your your 3 yr old pleco is 11-12 inches says something about it's habitat and care...

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Oddly , many of the LFS's sell commons 'billing' them as algae eaters.

what they don't mention,other than they canget large, is that when they do get marge. Many of the 'common' species switch from algae to a more varied diet consiting of protein..they wil switch to flake and other sources..apparenty the algae is not their desired foodsource when they mature.

as is true for many species of catfish

Addict

Here fishy, fishy
Feb 23, 2005
Ohio
www.digitaldeviation.com
budrecki said:
So you keep an 11 inch pleco in a 36g tank? And you think that's ok?

Properly feed plecos will grow on average 1 inch per month the first year of life. The fact that your your 3 yr old pleco is 11-12 inches says something about it's habitat and care...
Yes that rate of growth is fine. Not all plecs are going to grow at the same rate. He is well fed thank you.

I probably exaggerated a bit on the length now that I look at a ruler. He's more like 9-10".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store