first shrimp tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

COpathfindin

AC Members
Jun 3, 2011
Continental Devide, CO
Real Name
Sam
hey folks, I decided I wanted something on my bookshelf other then just books. I decided some shrimp was the way to go. I but some glass to what I deemed the right size and siliconed everything together. after about a week of curing, I filled cleaned, drained and refilled the tank. I let it sit for a few days like that, to be sure the water had no silicone smell, which it did not. I decided I was going to put dirt in the tank for the plants, capped that with various size gravel from another tank. I added a piece of drift wood, and a few plants and left it to build algae for the future shrimp. while everything did its thing I seemed to keep water parameters all within a good margin for the cherry shrimp I intended for the tank.
I found my self short on the money for the shrimp for another 3 weeks but FINALLY!!! they are in there home. I brought them home 2 days ago now, all seem happy. I even noticed I got a female gravid with eggs!!! pretty excited for my new tank.

jj 004.JPG jj 019.JPG jj 020.JPG jj 021.JPG

ksterling

AC Members
Nov 7, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Real Name
Kristin
might want a thicker cap or you will have a muddy mess when you go to do an h20 change but other than that cool experiment, always feels nice crafting something yourself!

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Looking good!

Murg7

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
PA
Real Name
Connor
try using a patches of java moss and get the tank better planted for the shrimp to hid and play but other than that it looks good

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
What a great project. Looking Good. Ya, and what kind of shrimp did you get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store